Author Topic: Where's my 12psi gone?  (Read 4987 times)

Marshall

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where's my 2psi gone?
« Reply #15 on: 22:23, Tue 09 August 2011 »
Right, just to resurrect this bad boy topic I tried a new actuator on it and turns out that wasn't the problem.  In the end I think the car was boosting to about 6psi max and felt like it was NA most of the time.

I've gone through everything, no boost leaks, no manifold leaks - even to the point of taking off the boost hose from the turbo to the intercooler to feel the force of the air coming out under load.....it's was shite.  There's more airflow from Jills hairdryer.  Tried another oil change just in case too, with the engines being as fickle as they are.

So tonight I've taken off the turbo to check the vanes and housings to see if there's any issues there and it all looks fine with maybe 1mm (if that) side-side play (see pics below) and it's all gravy, not even a crack in the housing.

Sooooo question is this, WTF??  Can a turbo just 'wear out' as such?  Also any recommendations of where to send it if it needs a rebuild.  Throwing a T2 on it tomorrow so shall see what happens then but in the mean time anyone got any ideas??

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22:30, Tue 09 August 2011 »
does the shaft spin freely ?

Marshall

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23:00, Tue 09 August 2011 »
yep, no problems there either.  One of the first things I checked before taking the turbo off.

Marshall

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Where's my 12psi gone?
« Reply #18 on: 19:16, Thu 11 August 2011 »
I'm stumped....  Just put the T2 on, took it for a spin up the road and it's boosting nicely so there's deffo an issue with the T25  :evil:

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21:45, Thu 11 August 2011 »
Preload the actuator up alittle mate, see if that improves it at all
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Marshall

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 00:04, Fri 12 August 2011 »
Did that, even took it for a spin without the pipework attached to the actuator.... nothing.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15:45, Fri 12 August 2011 »
Have you changed the actuator for known working one, sounds like the actuator has had it to be honest. For you to loose boost through the turbo i expect to see cracks in that rear housing or the penny not sealing up but looks ok in those pics.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Marshall

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18:37, Fri 12 August 2011 »
Yep, bought an actuator off Blunty that was advertised in good working order, plenty of resistance there.