Author Topic: piper 285 - valve clearances  (Read 1162 times)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
piper 285 - valve clearances
« on: 20:47, Wed 27 April 2011 »
Alright guys,
I know this has been covered many a time previosly, but when looking through old posts I am still unable to come to a clear decision
Currently I have had it set to 0.25 inlet & exhaust but this is very noisy
I have seen ppl say they use standard clearance, or use piper website for reference or use standard but add on a 0.05. So what do you all set it to and which is best (quietest)?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: piper 285 - valve clearances
« Reply #1 on: 20:54, Wed 27 April 2011 »
Some say 0.15 inlet, 0.20 exhaust.

Others say 0.20 inlet, 0.25 exhaust.

I say sod it, and do them all at 0.20.  :lol:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #2 on: 22:15, Wed 27 April 2011 »
I do mine 20 20 and not had any probs :D

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22:22, Wed 27 April 2011 »
nice one. cheers. So is the engine fairly quiet at this setting?
you wouldnt believe how noisy mine is...... I can hear it tapping from inside the car  :shock:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09:28, Thu 28 April 2011 »
Quote from: "Phase2-tungy-gtt"
nice one. cheers. So is the engine fairly quiet at this setting?
you wouldnt believe how noisy mine is...... I can hear it tapping from inside the car  :shock:

I haven't heard my tappets going in a long time :D  but then all I can here is my knackered gear box on idle :lol:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:01, Thu 28 April 2011 »
Quote from: "James5"
I haven't heard my tappets going in a long time :D  but then all I can here is my knackered gear box on idle :lol:

Bad news about the box, but good that you cannot hear tappets!! I Dropped the 5 off at the garage this morning so hopefully I will get it back soon with a quiet engine, perfect idle and a MOT 8)

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13:01, Thu 28 April 2011 »
Quote from: "Phase2-tungy-gtt"

Bad news about the box, but good that you cannot hear tappets!! I Dropped the 5 off at the garage this morning so hopefully I will get it back soon with a quiet engine, perfect idle and a MOT 8)

:D  You should have done the tappets yourself only a 10min job  :D , rocker cover off, 19mm spanner on the crank pulley, feeler gauges, 10mm open spanner, another small spanner to hold tappet in place when tightening, do them in sequence of rule of 9. Job done.

Fingers crossed for the MOT for you :D

yeah gearbox is a bit of bummer has been going for sometime to be honest had the ole gearbox death rattle now for a 6 months on this box now it's more like death rattle+ and only a matter of time before it actual fails on me.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13:48, Thu 28 April 2011 »
:D  You should have done the tappets yourself only a 10min job  :D , rocker cover off, 19mm spanner on the crank pulley, feeler gauges, 10mm open spanner, another small spanner to hold tappet in place when tightening, do them in sequence of rule of 9. Job done.

Fingers crossed for the MOT for you :D

yeah gearbox is a bit of bummer has been going for sometime to be honest had the ole gearbox death rattle now for a 6 months on this box now it's more like death rattle+ and only a matter of time before it actual fails on me.

i know, but my feeler gauge has gone walk abouts im afraid...only like 2 i know but not gonna buy them if they are there somewhere. Well the 5 is down at my dads mates garage and he doesnt mind doing them for me while he looks at the carb.

cheers.....im praying it passes - im in need of some boost! the drive to the garage reminded me how nippy it was (only 10psi too :lol:)  not booked in for a time yet, but mot station is next door to them, if he thinks its ready after the pre inspection then it should be cool to find a slot