Author Topic: 3000 Budget  (Read 3885 times)

gaz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
3000 Budget
« on: 15:49, Wed 27 April 2011 »
Well i havent been on here for a while as i sold my 5 & bought a pulsar gtiR. Thing is i just cant get the 5 bug out of my system so thinking of selling the pulsar & returning to 5 ownership  :roll:  anyway as we all know the annoying thing with 5s is the headgasket probs.
so my plan is to buy a 5 for around 500 that is a tidy 1 but has a knackerd engine or somthing. as i want to build the engine myself (low comp & forged) as im sick to the back teath of blowing headgaskets even after having fueling set up. ive owned 3 reni 5s now n& done the h/g's on 2 of them. so here is my plan to provent h/g failier.

low comp forged pistons.
forged rods.
steel liners.
group a h/g & high tensile head bolts.
head work.
285 cam & pully.
copper core rad.
in car fan swith.
fueling set for 20 psi

most of it if i can find it will be second hand as we all know none of us want to pay k-tec's prices for new parts.
ill spend 500 on a good clean car with a blown engine as ill obviusly be rebuilding it. so that leaves me 2500 for build!
what do you guys think? & will it be more reliable on the h/g side? will i do it??  :?

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: 3000 Budget
« Reply #1 on: 17:08, Wed 27 April 2011 »
The head only goes bang when you fuelling is out. Correct theology = reduced head faults...

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17:39, Wed 27 April 2011 »
Head gasket also goes pop when its detting too, i:e the inlet temp is too high or the ignition timing is too advanced.

I'll be honest mate you don't need half of what you have listed there to build a bullet proof engine, a poor set up will kill those bits just as easy as standard stuff.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

gaz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:53, Wed 27 April 2011 »
hmm  :?  another reason i wanted to go low comp aswell is coz the standard compression ratio  on a 5 of 7.9:1 is crap & quite high so even tho fueling would be set up its still stress on the h/g running high boost then after time. i no k-tec are running standard pistons & comp ratio in there 5's at 30 psi but they only probably run them once a month at santa pod or sumwhere... where as running 20 psi every day even with fueling set if you think about it that comp ratio is quite high. with low comp your going to have more volume of air in each cylinder = less stress on head & h/g... if that makes sence lol  :?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:00, Wed 27 April 2011 »
Going low comp on lower boost you'll be loosing low down torque and feel horrible off boost too

To be honest 7.9:1 isn't that high at all, i ran 24psi before quite fine with little igniton retard but did have a decent intercooler on there to keep inlet temps down.
If you were going 25psi+ then a slight drop is ok due to the fact after this amount of pressure the temps in the cylinders will always be fairly hot and due to the crappy ignition map in the AEI won't really like high boost. If you had mappable ignition then it'll be different story  :wink:

What you got to remember its not the boos that puts strain on the headgasket, its whats happening in the cylinders that matters.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:06, Wed 27 April 2011 »
I run 22PSI daily. Standard compression, standard ignition timing.

The only time the head gasket has been replaced is when i needed to pull it apart for another reason, i did need to replace a cracked cylinder liner once but that was due to running lean on a failing fuel pump.

In my experience the engines are the strong point, the weak points being everything else around them, mainly wiring on mine.

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:51, Fri 29 April 2011 »
i recon you'll be doin well to find a 'good clean car with a blown engine' for 500 bucks

kalve 5 gt tub

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18:16, Fri 29 April 2011 »
Are you gonna be sellin the pulsar? Been after 1 for years!!

Pm me a rough price if you are gonna sell the gtir

gaz

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15:29, Sat 30 April 2011 »
ill let you no kalve. iv not made my mind up yet. & it probably wont be utill the end of may if i do?  :)

rs250nut

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16:47, Mon 02 May 2011 »
Wow a whole load of shit talking going on in here, who set the car up when it kept going bang? Det cans anyone. Steel liners? who would use them, they are shite. The rings will never seat properly and wear out double quite. In most cases its never shear power that cracks liners its shite tunes and loads of det.