Author Topic: Starting my first project.  (Read 2149 times)

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Starting my first project.
« on: 16:50, Mon 18 April 2011 »
So i have owned 2 5 GTTs in the past and now i want to try my hand at building one(with alot of assistance and advice) myself. I was wondering if we could compile a list of tools and handy things to have in the garage for people like me in the same situation and, if possible, a list of places and prices where they can be bought.

also, if this has already been done could someone point me in the direction of that thread. cheers lads

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starting my first project.
« Reply #1 on: 21:19, Mon 18 April 2011 »
Ratchet spanners!

Everybody needs a set of these, ideal for those awkward nuts/bolts that are difficult to reach. Nothing worse then loosening off something a 1/4 turn each time.

Compression tester is worth investing in, and a half decent torque wrench.

Apart from that, a decent selection of normal spanners and sockets. Most the parts on the Renault seem to be Metric but i have several Imperial sockets in my box for when i need to brute force something (1/2" will fit better on a worn 13mm etc)

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23:25, Tue 19 April 2011 »
Thats really helpful mate, cheers!

Will be sticking those on the birthday and xmas lists!

smithyr5gt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:54, Sun 24 April 2011 »
Blow torch, wd40,hammer,tap and die set,trolly jack,axle stands,good screw driver set,
Screw extractor set, drill bits,

Just some things I have found usfull while doing my car bud.
Hope it helps.
YOU KNOW THE WHITE ONES ARE FASTER!!!

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:09, Mon 25 April 2011 »
I have found a nice comfy sun lounger, haynes manual and a nice hot cup of tea to be very helpful to :mrgreen:

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23:28, Mon 25 April 2011 »
Again thanks for the advice.....i seem to remember needing a sun lounger on the side of a few roads the last time i had a 5 GTT....hhhmmmmm. the things we suffer for the cars we love eh?

Will get my hands on a haynes manual too.

Cheers for the support boys.

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:36, Mon 25 April 2011 »
Just wanted to update on where i am at with my project........ haha

I have generously been offered a stripped and rubbed down GTX shell and my girlfriend has allowed me to use her garage for the project ( she doesnt use the garage as she is scared of spiders and she believes this is where they breed like in Arachnophobia, the film about spiders!!) Great news for me! I cant pick the car up until the end of may, beginning of june as its in Devon and im in Durham, a difference of about 600miles! me and a mate are planning a surf trip down that neck of the woods once he has finished his exams at uni and as he is from australia and doesnt have a car, he said if i drive he will sort the motion lotion so i ust have to wait it out till june now then i can get cracking! hopefully wont have too many nightmares getting it on a trailer and back up here!

Does anyone know the legal weight you allowed to tow on a trailer with a standard licence that i have held for 8 years? i heard about a mate getting 3 points cos the police said that the weight of the shell he was towing was too much and slapped him with 3 points! :o dont want to end up with that if i can help it!

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:57, Thu 28 April 2011 »
Heres what DVLA say on towing with just category B on your lisence m8

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

http://dvlaguide.co.uk/index.php/dvlagu ... can_drive/

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15:57, Thu 28 April 2011 »
Thanks for this boyo. think i will have a word with the plod before i head down just to be on the safe side. you know what they are like sometimes......

Frano81

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22:31, Mon 09 May 2011 »
Quote from: "rainey_y2k"
Thanks for this boyo. think i will have a word with the plod before i head down just to be on the safe side. you know what they are like sometimes......

Just check your licence mate. I passed in 2000, and I CAN'T tow anything! You have to do another course to be able to legally tow!

madmax

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:48, Mon 09 May 2011 »
Quote from: "rainey_y2k"
Thats really helpful mate, cheers!

Will be sticking those on the birthday and xmas lists!

Essential items = angle grinder and a mig welding set also a lorry load of patience  :D

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23:25, Thu 19 May 2011 »
Quote from:  Essential items = angle grinder and a mig welding set also a lorry load of patience  :D[/quote

Haha, i already know about he patience bit....had two fives previously! thanks for the heads up with the gear and that!