Author Topic: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??  (Read 7616 times)

BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« on: 13:39, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Again with this topic lol, what pillar pods do people use? I dont wanna buy any old one as i know it wont fit  :(  Any help would be great.

markey mark (bd)

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1851
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #1 on: 15:23, Tue 12 April 2011 »
You have to make the universal pods fit the A-piller plastic on the 5, don't there are any pur made pods for the 5.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

James5

  • Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2772
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #2 on: 16:06, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
You have to make the universal pods fit the A-piller plastic on the 5, don't there are any pur made pods for the 5.


As mark advices no pods made for the 5 you have have to adapt your own, this is mine I cut a 3 x gauge universal one up to make this (still a work in progress)


BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #3 on: 20:11, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Lovely job mate. Ill get the bits i need and have a go, ive done a little bit of this before so should hopefully get on Ok. Yours looks great BTW :) 8)

James5

  • Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2772
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #4 on: 21:21, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Quote from: "BabyBluGTT"
Lovely job mate. Ill get the bits i need and have a go, ive done a little bit of this before so should hopefully get on Ok. Yours looks great BTW :) 8)


Cheers mate, takeing ages  :(  thought I finished then I was a little rough in the fitting and damaged it so had to take back out and make it solid gain, good ole fibreglass :D . It's back in the car a little rough around the edges but it's working at the mo I will finish it off when I have some more enthusisasm am thinking of vinyl wrapping it to give it a really good finish


BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #5 on: 21:51, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Yea vinyl would look sweet as mate :). How did you actually go about bonding it all together ?

James5

  • Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2772
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #6 on: 22:01, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Quote from: "BabyBluGTT"
Yea vinyl would look sweet as mate :). How did you actually go about bonding it all together ?

Really really strong glue :lol: make sure water resisitant stuff,  then I used filler, fibreglass and then shaped the pods so they kind of looked like they were part of the pillar

BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #7 on: 22:37, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Nice one :) Any particular filler or fibreglass, just cheapy ebay stuff or is there a few half decent bits out there worth getting? Thanks for the help James

Ash-Lee

  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4208
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #8 on: 22:39, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Melt the plastic together, with a soldering iron maybe?

James5

  • Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2772
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #9 on: 22:42, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Quote from: "BabyBluGTT"
Nice one :) Any particular filler or fibreglass, just cheapy ebay stuff or is there a few half decent bits out there worth getting? Thanks for the help James


I used what I had in the shed  :lol:  P38 and P40, black and decker mouse to sand, and some wet and dry halfords stuff

BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #10 on: 22:56, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Good. Idea ash but surely the glue, filler and fibreglass would do the trick??
This willl give me something to do while my cars off the road ;) James a friend of  mine is selling a aem tru boost gauge, pricey but im half tempted. Whats thee verdict on yours mate, worth it?

James5

  • Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2772
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #11 on: 23:07, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Quote from: "BabyBluGTT"
Good. Idea ash but surely the glue, filler and fibreglass would do the trick??
This willl give me something to do while my cars off the road ;) James a friend of  mine is selling a aem tru boost gauge, pricey but im half tempted. Whats thee verdict on yours mate, worth it?


hmm not sure it is really worth the money at the end of the day it's a bleed valve  :lol: and a boost gauge does the same job  :lol:  if you have the cash spare do it as it is quiet nice being able to change the boost settings from within the car and the gauges do look pretty good and it has enabled me to get rid of my 1psi boost spike I always had with the VNT.

This is the pillar pods I purchased then cut the pods out and stuck them to the a pillar, I used a 42mm hole saw on the pillar at the back to feed the wires through

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0540387857

BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #12 on: 09:33, Wed 13 April 2011 »
Hes after 80 posted for it but still not sure :) Thanks for the help matey ill get some pics up when its done

James5

  • Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2772
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #13 on: 09:41, Wed 13 April 2011 »
Quote from: "BabyBluGTT"
Hes after 80 posted for it but still not sure :) Thanks for the help matey ill get some pics up when its done


For that price snap his hand off :D

BabyBluGTT

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 176
    • View Profile
Re: Do universal pillar pods fit the 5??
« Reply #14 on: 11:46, Wed 13 April 2011 »
Just watched some vids of it, do you get all this with the gauge kit ? If so i think i'll have it as you really seem to be able to control a lot of boost elements ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5geWat ... re=related