Author Topic: Engine out, cam and flywheel change  (Read 7713 times)

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Engine out, cam and flywheel change
« on: 20:03, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Looking to swap my 5's cam, valve springs and flywheel. Can this be done by just taking the engine out or is it a strip down job.
Also anybody wanting to help would be rewarded with lots of pizzas and beer lol

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Engine out, cam and flywheel change
« Reply #1 on: 20:07, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Your going to have to take the head off the engine too so new headgaslet and bolts too.
You'll need valve spring compression tool also to remove the springs.

Cam swap is fairly easy, just the springs little bit involved but still easy enough.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:12, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Thanks Mark, Would you still recommend changing the springs with a Piper 270?

Also whats your thoughts on water/methanol injection, been offered a full kit for 50 from a lad who used to run it on his Raider

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:07, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Quote from: "DeanGT5"
Thanks Mark, Would you still recommend changing the springs with a Piper 270?

Also whats your thoughts on water/methanol injection, been offered a full kit for 50 from a lad who used to run it on his Raider

For a 270 Piper cam you'll be ok with standard springs mate, do you have a vernier for the cam?

T be honest i woud only use methanol/water injection if your having trouble cooling the inlet charge, if you intercooler is working well and inlet charge temps are low then its not going to be much benefit

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:14, Tue 22 March 2011 »
No I dont have one, but was looking to get one. Ill probably leave the kit then, I have a GTT Double capacity that seems to be working well.
Here's a rolling road print out, the guy said car was fueling good, boost turned up to 18psi carb base. Does this seem low?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:20, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Is that 143bhp i see on there for 18psi, what turbo you running on there mate?

I can't say for fueling as it doesn't give any info on the print out

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:28, Tue 22 March 2011 »
That was done on your old small turbo. I think it was blowing around lots of hot air.

Since you have put on the new one yo need the afr rechecking.

Once I get my shed going again I'll pop down..

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21:34, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Yeah 143!!
The turbo I had before was a AR48 front, AR35 rear with 36mm wheels. I was told it was a kTEC one.
I might pop back and see if he has the numbers for the fueling, I have no got a Turbo Technics S116 (Stage 1) the trims are bigger and the back ends a AR47. It feels like its pulling better but something still seems to be holding it back?

Andy - I think I might get the cam in first, might need your engine removal skills

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21:41, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Yeah 143!!
The turbo I had before was a AR48 front, AR35 rear with 36mm wheels. I was told it was a kTEC one.
I might pop back and see if he has the numbers for the fueling, I have no got a Turbo Technics S116 (Stage 1) the trims are bigger and the back ends a AR47. It feels like its pulling better but something still seems to be holding it back?

Andy - I think I might get the cam in first, might need your engine removal skills

Well sounds like you have the K-Tec 180 turbo on there, basically a standard turbo with a slight different trim T25 wheel in there. Nothing special really and 18psi is pushing it abit.

Do you know the trims of the wheels of your new turbo, remember the trim is not the measurement of the wheel you see.
What is a stage 1 mate, T2? T25?

Be good if you could get fueling reading as would give idea as to how it performed.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21:44, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Measuring across there 41mm front and rear, looking on the turbo technics site it doesnt look like it will bve good for much more power, so may need to find another soon lol, or if the cam makes a difference the I can lower the boost.
I will give him a call as I know he stores all of the runs.

The S116 utilises the standard T2 unit but is supplied with a larger compressor wheel and housing, to increase power, and is matched to a larger turbine housing which will increase flow, with minimal effecting on spool up times. A fully screwed down 270 degree thrust bearing is used, enabling higher boost applications, while helping to keep costs down. The unit comes supplied with a dynamic seal to help improve response, and an uprated actuator means this unit will safely run up to 13PSI. With minimal engine and fuel modifications, this turbo will flow enough for up to 150BHP maximum.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21:50, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Measuring across there 41mm front and rear, looking on the turbo technics site it doesnt look like it will bve good for much more power, so may need to find another soon lol, or if the cam makes a difference the I can lower the boost.
I will give him a call as I know he stores all of the runs.

The S116 utilises the standard T2 unit but is supplied with a larger compressor wheel and housing, to increase power, and is matched to a larger turbine housing which will increase flow, with minimal effecting on spool up times. A fully screwed down 270 degree thrust bearing is used, enabling higher boost applications, while helping to keep costs down. The unit comes supplied with a dynamic seal to help improve response, and an uprated actuator means this unit will safely run up to 13PSI. With minimal engine and fuel modifications, this turbo will flow enough for up to 150BHP maximum.

Measuring the wheel like that doesn't tell you much as all mate, to determine trim of the wheel you need to measure the inducer size and exducer sizes and divide them.

Most standard turbos come with 270deg bearings mate, ideally you want 360deg thrust bearing in there for higher boost
I think for the Piper 270 cam you want to fit a T2/T25 or a T25 with T2 rear housing. These will produce good power and be able to flow alot more air at higher boost more efficently.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:57, Tue 22 March 2011 »
I think I will try the cam and flywheel with this turbo and see how its goes, I need to check the carb as im not sure what jets are in there.
I have some pics of the turbo off the car next to a stage 3 Prima MD28 turbo if that helps

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:59, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Yeah pics normally help out mate, can see what core and style housings have been used then.

DeanGT5

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22:25, Tue 22 March 2011 »
Sorry, laptop had a dikkie and shut down  :evil:

MD28

My Turbo

Mine

MD28

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17:11, Wed 23 March 2011 »
The first turbo looks like T2 with a T25 compressor wheel fitted.

The turbo you have on there at the moment is a T25 core with .48 T25 compressor housing and wheel, trim of wheel is unsure as you have to measure it properly.