Poll

What to do????????

Stick with the 5
12 (92.3%)
Or go williams 1 and turbo
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: 10:35, Fri 25 March 2011

Author Topic: What to do????????  (Read 4090 times)

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
What to do????????
« on: 10:35, Tue 15 March 2011 »
I am considering selling my 5 GTT as I fancy doing a williams 1 turbo conversion but I keep getting people saying to me don't do it and other saying do it.

I love the 5 and will struggle to let it go but I am getting to the point I would like something a little more reliable that doesn't take up so much time, not saying my 5 isn't reliable I seem to find things and just replace things that don't need replacing :lol:, Where as the clio is a more modern 16v engine that is capable of alot more ok not so much street cred as a renault 5 GT Turbo but hence I would go for the williams clio 1.

What do you peeps think I should do Stick with the 5 or go williams 1 and turbo?

smithyr5gt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: What to do????????
« Reply #1 on: 10:55, Tue 15 March 2011 »
DONT DO IT!!!  :lol:
personally id keep the five and maybe put a more reliable lump in that.

win win i think. :D
YOU KNOW THE WHITE ONES ARE FASTER!!!

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:25, Tue 15 March 2011 »
Stick wi the 5!! although I am very biased, but you have done just about everything to the little c1j. A new modern engine in the 5 is a great plan and is what I would do, but I know you did the 172 conversion and werent impressed, so would a williams or a valver engine turbo'd in the 5 be much different to that?
mk 1 williams are great cars, and some are kicking about for cheap cheap, so if you go williams route, is it gonna be VAG 20v or just turbo that lump?

H150GTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:44, Tue 15 March 2011 »
You will be the exact same with the williams lad...
You cant help but tinker :lol:

small_all@hotmail.com

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15:03, Tue 15 March 2011 »
yeh keep with the 5, put a more reliable lump in, if ur a tinker'er then ull always be finding things to fix and change, even with the williams surely?
My cars only as fast as the people pushing it

chillin... chillin....... chillin.........boooOOOOOOST

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15:16, Tue 15 March 2011 »
AGU the 5 FTW

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16:37, Tue 15 March 2011 »
Quote from: "James5"
I am considering selling my 5 GTT as I fancy doing a williams 1 turbo conversion but I keep getting people saying to me don't do it and other saying do it.

I love the 5 and will struggle to let it go but I am getting to the point I would like something a little more reliable that doesn't take up so much time, not saying my 5 isn't reliable I seem to find things and just replace things that don't need replacing :lol:, Where as the clio is a more modern 16v engine that is capable of alot more ok not so much street cred as a renault 5 GT Turbo but hence I would go for the williams clio 1.

What do you peeps think I should do Stick with the 5 or go williams 1 and turbo?

Why not have best of both worlds mate and stick a turbo'd Williams lump in the 5, you know its a fairly easy conversion to do, you'll keep the caracter of the 5 but have the more reliable engine. You won't even have to tune it much to have a fairly nippy car.

To be honest with the age of the clios and the 5's, there not that different now-a-days with things needing doing to them as both are good fews years old and will always have worm out bits that need doing
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17:11, Tue 15 March 2011 »
Old Clio....more reliable?  :lol:

I sold a few turbos to a lad with a Williams, he said it has been a f**king nightmare.

Smart looking cars though.  8)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:53, Wed 16 March 2011 »
What you need to ask yourself is this.....
1. how much further do you think you can push the C1j ?
2. If you did put an F7 engine in your 5, could you be bothered with all that hassle again, finding conversion parts, wiring etc. etc. As per PM, it can be cheap if you get it right, but if you go forged etc with bespoke stuff like Robbie it will be a money pit, but it's a better engine to mod for more power...

I know I love the GT Turbo but if I did things again I think I would sell up & buy a valver or willy to convert, so much easier & the willy has widetrack as standard...

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16:28, Wed 16 March 2011 »
Thats a hard choice to make, i'd struggle! I love the retro look of a 5 and they look completely different to anything else on the road today. But I do like a williams :roll:

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16:33, Wed 16 March 2011 »
Quote from: "Elmogtt"
Thats a hard choice to make, i'd struggle! I love the retro look of a 5 and they look completely different to anything else on the road today. But I do like a williams :roll:

That's my problem I can't be arsed with another conversion into the 5 but the 5 is a fantastic little car and is a real retro ride, and you don't see many about at all anymore but the williams 1 does look good for a clio and as far as I am concerned the williams 1 is the best williams made :D , the clio also as Steve says has the wide track as standard and some tasty looking speedlines on it.  I have found a williams 1 I am interested in but it's a long long way from were I am based + I would need to sell my 5 to help fund the cost and I have no space for a clio and the r5 to stay at the same time.

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16:37, Wed 16 March 2011 »
Ideally I like to have both also.

Frank williams had number 1 in the factory for years, only done 16 miles, if i remember correctly.