Author Topic: looking at a gt ?  (Read 4996 times)

tank

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
looking at a gt ?
« on: 06:43, Fri 11 March 2011 »
hey all im going to look at a gt turbo on sunday and have never owned one before its a g reg raider what are the main things to look at / for thanks

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: looking at a gt ?
« Reply #1 on: 07:30, Fri 11 March 2011 »
Main things are rust, look at the sills, around the windscreen, in the little cubbyholes in the boot by the rear arches. Check the oil and coolant for signs of mixing. Check the rad fan comes on when it's up to temp.
And the usual like all the electrics work, any knocks and bangs (although a lot have a few rattles  :lol: )

Have a look at the buying guide on here too, it's pretty useful :)
http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/buying.htm

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:49, Fri 11 March 2011 »
Where abouts are you ? Might be worth taking someone along

tank

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:06, Fri 11 March 2011 »
thanks for that i have printed it off to check all the bits im from sussex and going to portsmouth to get the car takeing a friend that has had a r5 for 7 years its a little chav tastic but plans are to dechav

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #4 on: 13:07, Fri 11 March 2011 »
Quote from: "tank"
thanks for that i have printed it off to check all the bits im from sussex and going to portsmouth to get the car takeing a friend that has had a r5 for 7 years its a little chav tastic but plans are to dechav

Mate, where abouts in Sussex?? I am in Henfield, West Sussex matey.  I would offer you a hand but at the mo I am immobile due to medical reasons. :(

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16:24, Fri 11 March 2011 »
Is it the Raider thats been painted a different colour (brown/green flip with flames in the paint), Pauls ??
If so the car isn't too bad to look at, a bit of rust on the front inner arch that will poss need attention, can't say much about the underneath etc as I never really looked it all over I just had a couple of bits off him & had a look at it when he had a problem.

tank

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17:46, Fri 11 March 2011 »
funny enough mate im in albourne right next to henfiled !

yes that is the one mate do you know any thing at all about it and may i ask what the problem was you helped fix many thanks

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18:08, Fri 11 March 2011 »

yes that is the one mate do you know any thing at all about it and may i ask what the problem was you helped fix many thanks
Like I say the shell looked ok, front bumper is black, & I reckon it will need a patch on the inner wing, nothing big though considering the car is 20 years old.
Problem, it was smoking, I did a comp test which was ok, then had a look at the turbo which I found a bit worn, hence it smokes sometimes (as he has said in the ebay ad).  I think he was pretty fair in his description TBH.
Like I say I didn't have a real good nosey round it as I looked over the engine (where I noticed the rusty inner) & then took the seats & harnesses out for my car  :twisted:

I'm in Horsham so not far from you either ;)

tank

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18:29, Fri 11 March 2011 »
good stuf yer he said and i may buy his spare turbo for it i think i got a real good price to be honest and had a chat earlier on the phone he sounds like a sound person

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #9 on: 20:00, Fri 11 March 2011 »

:lol:  Feck me it's a small world not far from me at all, and as Steve says he's in Horsham we should have a little get together at somepoint once I have had my op. :D

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:49, Fri 11 March 2011 »
good stuf yer he said and i may buy his spare turbo for it i think i got a real good price to be honest and had a chat earlier on the phone he sounds like a sound person
Yeah I thought Paul was ok as well.
Hope the car is what you want :)

tank

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22:45, Fri 11 March 2011 »
haha it certainly is yer little local meet would be good and im shore it will be i think im going to buy the spare turbo he has for it to but ill give it a dam good going over ever way im comeing home with it haha

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17:02, Sun 13 March 2011 »
how did you get on ?

tank

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18:49, Sun 13 March 2011 »
yer it went well he told a couple of little porkies such as 2 months mot 2 months tax turned out tax till end of march mot till 24th of march but yer see what you mean about the inner wing siliconed together and i ended up buying the turbo he had too 100 miles completed and shes fine puffing plents of bluey oily smoke but will be changing turbo in the morning then put her in for mot and see what it fails on

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08:48, Mon 14 March 2011 »
Fingers crossed it's not alot.. If they see that inner wing that may be a fail..
If you need a hand drop me a PM since James is out of action for the South East,  :lol: