Author Topic: My ORB  (Read 9184 times)

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
My ORB
« on: 17:07, Mon 31 January 2011 »
Ok, heres a quick write up of my on and off project for the last 5 and a half years now. I try and get it done in bits and enjoy driving it in between and this year is another work year. Car started as a rusty tungy grey and got resprayed by me and a m8 in 2007.
Couple of shots of the outside which is almost finished.

Bonnet is no where near as good as it looks in photo, has a small crack in the laquer at bottom of vent and alignment has never been great with it (hope thats the bonnet anyway) Have a spare that just needs spraying up.

This years task is sorting the engine bay out, it wasn't resprayed with the rest of the car and is the last bit that desperately need doing as door shuts and all other bits got done with the original spray. Rust is the main reason :(

Will also have to sort this bit out when respraying the bay just to make it more difficult

To go with that its time to put the interior back in, i now have a full interior but some of it isnt good enough to go in, inside was sprayed black when outisde was done blue and i liked having it stripped out for a bit but everytime i see a 5 with a nice interior i want the same. Drvers seat is ragged but passenger is good.
Door card off as window regulator failed

Much more cleaning needed here.

So thats where its at now. Lots done and even more to do :) All comments welcome.

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My ORB
« Reply #1 on: 17:44, Mon 31 January 2011 »
Thats a nice 5 you got there matey, are they cossie vents in bonnet? did you flush them in or is it a fibreglass jobbie?  

The paintjob looks like a good job to especially a diy job 8)

keep the updates coming in fella

smithyr5gt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07:34, Wed 02 February 2011 »
looks good mate. not a massive amount to do. good luck.
YOU KNOW THE WHITE ONES ARE FASTER!!!

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13:32, Wed 02 February 2011 »
Thanks for the comments guys, i brought the bonnet with those vents already in from minty off rtoc if memory serves corretly. Was a fair few years ago.
The paint job although DIY was done in a body shop. All prep, rust removal welding and primer was done outside where i lived at the time and final sand down, spray, flat and polish was done in the body shop which my mate works at in a few evenings. Will keep updating but may be a bit slow to start with.
Heres a few i found from when we were doing the exterior
Started as a rusty tungy grey

Multi colour wonder

In primer, liked the look though :)

Cant find the ones that show the rust removal that took place, certainly seen worse since but looked bad at the time :)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19:00, Thu 03 February 2011 »
Looks good, funny enough my old 5 was a tungy sprayed blue (Ford Imperial)  :mrgreen:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21:24, Thu 03 February 2011 »
Nice car.  8)

Part of me wants to go the matt black route with mine, i've seen a few in matt black (i know yours was just a primer) but i think they look quite hardcore.

Supposed to be a nightmare to clean though, greasy fingerprints etc.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #6 on: 11:53, Tue 08 February 2011 »
Dave, the car looks good matey alot of effort has clearly gone into it and you have obviously good plenty of patience and skills to prep the car up yourself as it has come out nice.  Hopefully see you at RTOC National Day this year matey if your going :)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17:22, Tue 08 February 2011 »
:lol:  looks really mint in the primer!! But a very good DIY paint job you have done....nice!

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:55, Wed 09 February 2011 »
A lot of people used to comment on it when in primer, probably more than now its blue. Another thing added to the list now, fit Koni front shocks (thx Steve) will probably leave it till the engine is out and start hitting everything at once, hopefully with Tony Fisheads help. Your old blue one was nice steve, this blue is MG trophy blue if anyone cares :)

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09:57, Wed 09 February 2011 »
Good luck over the next couple of months refreshing everything, you'll have to get yourself to a meet sometime ;)

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17:06, Wed 09 February 2011 »
I will try to get to national day but it definitely wont be in my car, like said at start, got to wait for funds before I can start so I wont be putting it back on the road till next year i don't expect. If a surrey meet falls on a different night I will come along to one of them or during summer after gf has finished college year I should make it. Got to just to see James's beast!

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11:38, Wed 13 April 2011 »
So, work is now underway on the ORB, massive thanks to Tony for coming out and helping getting the engine out, you're a star! Once the engine was out I have gradually started taking bits off poking and prodding to find out what is solid and what is not. Its a complete bodge of repairs in the bay and is not looking good at all, I think this will be a lot more work than expected. Heres the photos i just sent to my welder m8 so they still have comments on them.

Got a bit happy with a pair of pliers in last pic, was a 5p sized hole before. O well, has to go :)

So looks like for starters i need new headlight surround and back panel on drivers side at minimum, maybe the whole thing plus new inner wheel arch panels. Really dont know the proper name of the panels so if someone wants to clue me in be my guest :)
O Mike, get back from holiday!!

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:48, Tue 17 May 2011 »
Got a few more parts for the car now, heres the new turbo beside the old one.

Its James's old VNT so hoping for a nice improvement over the old hybrid. Not really part of the original plan for this round of work but its not like they come up every day.

Also Mike delivered my new front end, thanks m8. Here it is how it was delivered.

Gave it a good wash and as always had a dig at any rust, all was just surface rust apart from 1 part behind the cross member, below drivers side wheel arch.

All in all though it is incredibly strait and exactly what is needed. Will prep that all up over the next few nights. From suspension turret back is now about prepped in the car and is very solid so almost ready to off with the old and on with the new. Should be interesting  :roll:

Also removed anti perc fan wiring and labelled up all the engine loom as it had no connector block. Just need to get the connector and a diagram now and that can all be done.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #13 on: 11:18, Tue 17 May 2011 »
Dave, you are going to love that VNT matey.  Looks like you will need to ditch the GTTuning heatshield as trust me it wont fit actuator is in the way and rear housing touches the insides of it.

DaveMayGTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13:07, Tue 17 May 2011 »
Thanks for letting me know m8! That will fix one of my rattles as the heatshield was missing one of the supports and used to rattle when i pulled away. Good news all round :)