Author Topic: Gear linkage alignment  (Read 2292 times)

cazerooadoo

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Gear linkage alignment
« on: 18:37, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Really need some advice with this problem please -
 I was driving down the road and the yoke at the gear stick snapped so I could not select gear. The selector rod stayed attached at the gearbox so got towed back and got a replacement gear stick which happened to have a rod as well.

So, I fitted the replacement gear stick and used the original rod that was on before but there is no way I can get it set right to select all gears. I can get R,1,2,3,4 or maybe 1,2,3,4,5 no reverse but nothing in between. It was working fine before and I am maybe turning the bar in the region of 0.5mm (hard to move such a small degree) and it just goes out all together!

The fork selector at the gearbox end has a little play in it and am wondering if anyone knows about the plastic insert used where the ball joint goes into the box on the arm that helps move the selector. Not well described I know!

Thing is it was working perfectly fine and it is now in the mates garage and he can't set it either!! Suggestions please!! Or anyone know if that little plastic insert can be changed? Don't know if it will help or where to get one.  :(
Cheers Caroline

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Gear linkage alignment
« Reply #1 on: 19:08, Thu 11 March 2010 »
From what i remember yes the plastic insert can be changed. Its been a while isince i had all that apart now.
Think if you remove the circlip round the outside of it then it will slide out.

I find with the gear linkage it is a pain to realign it so always change the rod and stick together so the clamp at the lever end is not disturbed. Even when removing gearbox always rmove it from front.
Bit harder now as yours snapped at the wrong end though.

Is that Rob's (C2 GTT) old red 5 its happened to?
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

cazerooadoo

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23:35, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Yes it was Rob's 5, bought it off him back in October. Still got my black one though.

Any idea what the part number is for Renault (as my local one is useless) or anywhere else I can get the plastic insert from?
Got another selector rod so will try changing that tomorrow.
Thanks.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:11, Fri 12 March 2010 »
Yeah i know that car and Rob well, live round corner from him, knew the previous owner to that too.

Not too sure what part number is, have a word with Mike (phase 1 16v turbo) he'll be able to sort you with one at a very good price.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

cazerooadoo

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:46, Fri 12 March 2010 »
Yeah love the car when I can get chance to take it out, but just been one thing after the other with it recently.
Got the stick and selector rod from Mike so will get in touch with him if I need the part.
Can you just tell me if the plastic insert is meant to be tight or have a bit of play?

Steve!

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23:40, Fri 12 March 2010 »
tight
to Big to Big, will find another soon!!!

VintageSpeed

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:43, Mon 31 January 2011 »
on my 5 there's a new gear box and unfortunatly the gears aren't fully alligned now, can some explain how you can get the gear linkage set properly so it'll shift smoothly?

thanks

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 00:11, Tue 01 February 2011 »
Quote from: "VintageSpeed"
on my 5 there's a new gear box and unfortunatly the gears aren't fully alligned now, can some explain how you can get the gear linkage set properly so it'll shift smoothly?

thanks

Adjuster under the car at the base oif the gearstick you loosen it and adjust the rod around or back or forward and back??
Haynes describes it better :) but it's fairly simple to do