Author Topic: hey folks bit of an odd one here!  (Read 2466 times)

1938vw

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
hey folks bit of an odd one here!
« on: 21:44, Fri 07 January 2011 »
right here goes, i'm a bit of a vw nut, i currently own a mk4 golf tdi and a 1600 beetle.
now you're thinking, why am i on here right?
well the 5 gtt carb works wonders with a turbo on a 1600 beetle engine. unfortunatly i know nothing about the set up on a 5.
fingers crossed thats where you guy come in!
i need as much help as you're willing to give me.
the thing thats pickled my brain so far is where do all the hoses go around the plenum, carb, turbo, dv etc? only pic i've found is in spanish!
can anyone help?
cheers guys.

Tigerpoeton

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: hey folks bit of an odd one here!
« Reply #1 on: 00:06, Sat 08 January 2011 »
Quote from: "1938vw"
right here goes, i'm a bit of a vw nut, i currently own a mk4 golf tdi and a 1600 beetle.
now you're thinking, why am i on here right?
well the 5 gtt carb works wonders with a turbo on a 1600 beetle engine. unfortunatly i know nothing about the set up on a 5.
fingers crossed thats where you guy come in!
i need as much help as you're willing to give me.
the thing thats pickled my brain so far is where do all the hoses go around the plenum, carb, turbo, dv etc? only pic i've found is in spanish!
can anyone help?
cheers guys.

If it helps I speak fluent spanish (Live in spain too lol) I can translate the picture if you want to post it up?

Let me know if that would help :-)

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22:44, Sun 09 January 2011 »
Welcome to the site dude.
There are a lot of pipes on it, aren't there  :lol:

The two ports on one side of the plenum go to the actuator ports (the standard T2 has a 2 port actuator) but you can loop them and run the actuator from the base of the carb if you prefer. And the one on the other side goes to the fuel pressure regulator.

Just ask in the technical questions bit if you need any more info  8)

1938vw

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:59, Mon 10 January 2011 »
Quote from: "Tigerpoeton"
If it helps I speak fluent spanish (Live in spain too lol) I can translate the picture if you want to post it up?

Let me know if that would help :-)

fantastic! thank you!

Quote from: "scratcher"
Welcome to the site dude.
There are a lot of pipes on it, aren't there  :lol:

The two ports on one side of the plenum go to the actuator ports (the standard T2 has a 2 port actuator) but you can loop them and run the actuator from the base of the carb if you prefer. And the one on the other side goes to the fuel pressure regulator.

Just ask in the technical questions bit if you need any more info  8)

thank you too. i'll be running a gt15, they are fitted to tdi astra vans and have one actuator port. chances are i will fab might own plenum type carb top to suit as its on a beetle its totally different. is there any reason that many people dont make their own?
anyways if i do make one, can i just leave out the two "looped" ports like on the stcok set up and use the one on the base of the carb?

also does anyone have any pictures? i find it hard to get to grips with as i dont have an r5 to look at for reference!

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23:57, Tue 11 January 2011 »
Yep, that's perfectly fine  8)
I've seen a few with just the FPR port on them.

My car has the standard actuator pipework so will probably be no good to you.
Someone will have a good picture of the simplified setup, or have a look here and scroll down to the actuator 'cup mod'. It might be some help.

http://membres.multimania.fr/r5gt/gtt/cup.htm