Author Topic: My previous 5's and current one  (Read 11159 times)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My previous 5's and current one
« Reply #15 on: 23:22, Thu 10 February 2011 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
Thing is it's not just lightened like the k-tec ones, it has slots cut in it as well, I had a 9 slot one & it was alot lighter than the k-tec jobbies ;)
Are you talking about the GTT one on ebay? I think you must be... can't see you as a mini-man! :lol:  Although that mini flywheel does give new meaning to the term lightened. I'd hate to see the result of one of them exploding at high revs!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08:20, Fri 11 February 2011 »
Quote from: "5-Mission"
I'd hate to see the result of one of them exploding at high revs!

Like a ripsaw!

There's a video knocking about somewhere of a car on the strip.

Flywheel heads north, through the gearbox casing and then up out the bonnet.  :shock:

Lucky it didn't come through the bulkhead and onto the drivers lap.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #17 on: 08:46, Fri 11 February 2011 »
Quote from: "5teve L"
Thing is it's not just lightened like the k-tec ones, it has slots cut in it as well, I had a 9 slot one & it was alot lighter than the k-tec jobbies ;)

9 slot weighted something like 3.6kg, fantastic fly wheel and very hard to come by, I think Big Jim still does them.  If your going to do it do it right in the first place, I have Gaytec one on my 5 at present my next step when the engine comes out is to get it 9 slotted and seriously lightened as I don;t think it is much difference to the OE other than one side has been skimmed down

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19:02, Fri 11 February 2011 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
I got someone else to do my flywheels mate as i don't a lathe to do it (not at work niether as i'm mechanical engineer) but he does remove a fair amount, the lightest flywheel i can get is around the 3.5kg once done.

That flywheel is 150 but do do cheaper versions, 80 and 120.
Seems pretty steep to just have a bit of metal machined off your flywheel! Would be better to buy the ready lightened & balanced one on ebay at the moment which was making 40 quid when I last looked. Looks the same as mine apart from a couple of extra holes on either face.

Just remembered, something that might interest you if you've not seen it before..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultra-Light-Austi ... 4cf50908b4

For the work that gors into the flywheels mate its not bad price at all

As mentioned earllier by Steve L they are a hell of alot lighter then those K-Tec flywheels or one from other tuners. They only dish the centre alittle which to be honest doesn't do much at all, if going to lighten one you may aswell do one properly.

I have my flywheel out of my engine at the moment, i can stick some pics of it up on here so you can see how different they are.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19:16, Fri 11 February 2011 »
I got someone else to do my flywheels mate as i don't a lathe to do it (not at work niether as i'm mechanical engineer) but he does remove a fair amount, the lightest flywheel i can get is around the 3.5kg once done.

That flywheel is 150 but do do cheaper versions, 80 and 120.
Seems pretty steep to just have a bit of metal machined off your flywheel! Would be better to buy the ready lightened & balanced one on ebay at the moment which was making 40 quid when I last looked. Looks the same as mine apart from a couple of extra holes on either face.

Just remembered, something that might interest you if you've not seen it before..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ultra-Light-Austi ... 4cf50908b4

For the work that gors into the flywheels mate its not bad price at all

As mentioned earllier by Steve L they are a hell of alot lighter then those K-Tec flywheels or one from other tuners. They only dish the centre alittle which to be honest doesn't do much at all, if going to lighten one you may aswell do one properly.

I have my flywheel out of my engine at the moment, i can stick some pics of it up on here so you can see how different they are.
Be good to see some pics and compare the 2. Do you have a standard one to put it up against as well? I know it's more than a case of just machining material from the face of the flywheel. There's knowing how much to remove and exactly where to remove from so it doesn't weaken it at all.
Shouldn't be a problem on my n/a engine! I was reading up in some other motoring forums and it can get very scientific with loads of algebraic equations of force, mass and inertia and all that which I'm sure no-one wants to cover here! Also people who had done it said it resulted in a lumpy idle in most cases depending on the amount lightened but made the engine much more free revving.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19:50, Fri 11 February 2011 »
Yeah i got standard flywheel too compare it to, they are light but don't reduce the strength of them at all. Some of the most powerful C1J's have used them abd never had a issue with failures or any sort of problem.
Yeah does make it more free reving, i tend to leave crank standard as don't want to loose too much enertia.

Never had one with idling problems though due to flywheel so no worries there

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15:34, Sun 13 February 2011 »
Quote from: "scratcher"
You need to get some pics up of the new slow and low project man  8)

Slow and low? :?

The diesel you showed me pics of at the Surrey meet  :wink: Or has that gone already?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16:12, Sun 13 February 2011 »
You need to get some pics up of the new slow and low project man  8)

Slow and low? :?

The diesel you showed me pics of at the Surrey meet  :wink: Or has that gone already?

Ah the old workhorse!  No its still here mate, thats not going anywhere its got new set of wheels on it will stick some pics up of it soon

elcie

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02:20, Wed 23 February 2011 »
That mini looks mental, was it ever finished ?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14:22, Sun 27 February 2011 »
Quote from: "elcie"
That mini looks mental, was it ever finished ?

Yeah it was mate, thats how we finished it. It was never built to be road legal more a bit of a laugh to say it was done.

Gav

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08:42, Wed 23 March 2011 »
Mental mate!! whats next! :D