Author Topic: Fuel filler neck ? rust !!!!  (Read 932 times)

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Fuel filler neck ? rust !!!!
« on: 17:14, Wed 08 December 2010 »
hi guys,

need some help as been to look at a r5 gtt and there is a rusty hole behind the fuel filler cap and was wondering if you can buy a replacement panel ? or does it come with the rear quarter panel ?

thanks

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel filler neck ? rust !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22:46, Wed 08 December 2010 »
I'd imagine it'd be a complete rear wing job which would be ridiculous for a small hole. You could cut the section from a scrap R5 but it'd be far easier to repair the hole! Best bet would be to remove the cap (two 6 or 8mm bolts up inside your rear wing - be careful as the cap end of them can spin if they're rusty and not undo), remove the rubber filler seal and pipe (probably a tank-off job) from inside then remove all the rusty metal from aroud the hole and fabricate a plate and weld in place.
You'll need a low power setting on your welder as it's easy to blow through the paper thin body of the R5!
Is the hole visible at all when the flap is closed? If not, it'll be a fairly straightforward repair otherwise to get the doner panel off another car and will probably be a pro bodyshop job then..

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23:25, Wed 08 December 2010 »
Quote from: "5-Mission"
You'll need a low power setting on your welder as it's easy to blow through the paper thin body of the R5!

Yes!

I made this mistake, ended up doing twice as much work.

Phase I 16 V Turbo

• Trusted Trader
  • 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gt-turbo-spares.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 17:29, Mon 13 December 2010 »
I keep repair panels cut from other R5 in stock.