Author Topic: Simplifying coolant system  (Read 2182 times)

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Simplifying coolant system
« on: 18:33, Fri 15 October 2010 »
I'm looking to tidy up my engine bay and lose some pipes and relocate the Ignition module behind the bulkhead.

I've seen a few GTT where the coolant hoses to the carb have been removed, what everyones view on this? safe enough to do?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Simplifying coolant system
« Reply #1 on: 18:49, Fri 15 October 2010 »
Yes its safe to do, i normally loose the water pipes going to the inlet manifold and leave the carb ones on.

Either way its fine to do.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19:00, Fri 15 October 2010 »
I too have removed the inlet manifold pipes.

I've removed the carb base pipes aswell, i did pop them back on last winter because i found the fuelling to be a bit 'jerky' even once the engine had reached temperature it would take a bit longer to sort itself out. It's started to do it again recently with the colder/damper mornings so i might fit them again.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:05, Fri 15 October 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Yes its safe to do, i normally loose the water pipes going to the inlet manifold and leave the carb ones on.

Either way its fine to do.

I leave the carb base ones, but have got rid of inlet manifold pipes, turbo coolant pipes, even relocated the header tank to minimise pipework, until recently aslo had no heater matrix pipes but with the weather getting cold installed new heater matrix and put the pipes back in :lol:

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:35, Fri 15 October 2010 »
I'm running without inlet pipes as well, kept the carb ones to help keep the carb warm in winter ;)

Elmogtt

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Simplifying coolant system Update
« Reply #5 on: 07:22, Sun 17 October 2010 »
I Have a phase 1 so my coolant pipework is a little different to a phase 2 as i#ve got no water cooling for a turbo. Can i run a oil and watercooled turbo without water on my phase 1. Only ask as if i'm going to upgrade to a hybrid in the future do i need a phase 2 coolant system layout

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Simplifying coolant system Update
« Reply #6 on: 10:53, Sun 17 October 2010 »
Quote from: "Elmogtt"
I Have a phase 1 so my coolant pipework is a little different to a phase 2 as i#ve got no water cooling for a turbo. Can i run a oil and watercooled turbo without water on my phase 1. Only ask as if i'm going to upgrade to a hybrid in the future do i need a phase 2 coolant system layout

Running a water cooled turbo on a non water cooled engine is fine matey, it just means you have to do more regular oil changes in fact the same oil chnge interval on a phase 1 setup.

grahamdelooze

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:26, Sun 17 October 2010 »
run the water return to the expansion bottle through the turbo first then to the bottle.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13:51, Sun 17 October 2010 »
Quote from: "grahamdelooze"
run the water return to the expansion bottle through the turbo first then to the bottle.

Remember the 3mm restrictor as well.  :idea: