Author Topic: Nearly had a burnt out r5!!!omg  (Read 2782 times)

doggydowg22

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Nearly had a burnt out r5!!!omg
« on: 17:33, Sat 09 October 2010 »
Took the car to gym,had a fiddle round before I left to try and find oil sender wires (these have been cut)

Driving home and go round a fast tight corner notice oil warning light coming on then going off weird.

Park up and sounds like a fan is running but very noisey,I know this not to be the case as they are all on switches.

After a few minutes of scratching my head notice smoke coming from back of engine,so disconect my earth on battery and the noise and smoke stops,ive burnt my finger on earth terminal it was that hot.

Could this be a jammed on starter motor,what would cause this?

Advise needed hopfully smoke wasn't melting wire loom ;_(

doggydowg22

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: Nearly had a burnt out r5!!!omg
« Reply #1 on: 18:03, Sat 09 October 2010 »
Just reconected battery,my alarm light is normaly red of green...no light and more,when I turn igntion on no fuel pump prim and no starter motor.

Dodgy alarm?

I have checked all fuses all are fine,what to check next?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:09, Sat 09 October 2010 »
Check that the main battery cable to starter hasn;t burnt up againt the exhaust, its common for this to happen if the battery cable has been moved about in the past.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

doggydowg22

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18:15, Sat 09 October 2010 »
I think something has happend to my alarm its a toad alarm,when I reconnect battery the indicators flash once but then the red or green light isnt on in the dash.

Gota fealing im going to end up having to run a wire to the fuel pump on a switch and remove the alarm system why me had the car not evan a week ;_(

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:35, Sat 09 October 2010 »
Quote from: "doggydowg22"

Gota fealing im going to end up having to run a wire to the fuel pump on a switch and remove the alarm system why me had the car not evan a week ;_(

Whatever you do mate don't do that, thats just bodging a repair in and not fixing the problem, there is a relay for reason and its a safety reason too.

The alarm will be tied into the relay or the signal wire going to the relay more than likely, try find the wires that have been splised into and reconnect the orignal wires back together so it takes to alarm out
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

doggydowg22

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18:43, Sat 09 October 2010 »
Ive got the flash back on the alarm,I held the bonnet cose button down whilst reconecting the battery.

It never used to make any noises now the alarm beeps,still no fuel pump prime or starter.

A phone call to previouse owner may help matters.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23:07, Sat 09 October 2010 »
Might be a good idea just to have a good look over the wiring anyway.

Mine was a nightmare, i removed at least 2 sets of old alarms/immobilisers and gave the soldering iron a good workout repairing all the wiring. It had all been hacked together with those little blue clip on wiring connections.

doggydowg22

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08:28, Sun 10 October 2010 »
Will have to get a jack and axle stands and get underneethe the car and check at starter motor.

For the starer to jam on and keep running like that is it safe to say I need to invest in a new starter or solinoid,realy not looking forward to attempting that.

Think I might have to be renewing my RTOC membership lol.