Author Topic: Vacuum pipe help  (Read 1801 times)

rudeboyjono

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Vacuum pipe help
« on: 09:39, Wed 06 October 2010 »
Hey all.
I've just got my engine all back together but I have 2 last problems. 1 is that I have a palce for a pipe to fit onto my carb, just behind/ above the breather pipe on the rocker cover, but I hav no idea where this is supposed to go to as I hav no other places with nothing going to them. Any ideas where this pipe comes from or goes to?
My other problem is that my car keeps tryi h to overheat. I've put everything on the cooling system back together with new parts, bled all the air out but still it just won't stay cool or at least not too hot. The fan is working as it should. Is it ok to run it without the thermostat to help keep it cooler?

Any help would be great

Thanks

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum pipe help
« Reply #1 on: 10:28, Wed 06 October 2010 »
It the part on the carb pointing down towards the rocker cover?
If it is, its an over flow pipe, it should have a hose running down and in front of the gear box area so fuel is taken safely away from the hot manifolds etc.

Have you tried bleeding the system again after its cooled back down? And check that the fan is spinning the right way-sucking air into the bay, not blowing it back through the rad.

rudeboyjono

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:16, Wed 06 October 2010 »
Thanks for the advice mate. That was the pipe that I ment, yes, I'll have to add some tubing to it later. I've not checked fan direction, I will though. If that's ok then I'm not really sure what to do. Thanks anyway

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:10, Wed 06 October 2010 »
Quote from: "rudeboyjono"
Thanks for the advice mate. That was the pipe that I ment, yes, I'll have to add some tubing to it later. I've not checked fan direction, I will though. If that's ok then I'm not really sure what to do. Thanks anyway

Test the fan is sucking as Scratcher advices, then remove the top hose stat and test to make sure it is opening properly,  to do the test place the stat in jug of cold water with stat (copper end )facing up, then have another jug with boiling hot water fresh from the kettle and place the stat in it again keeping the stat upwards it should pretty much  open straight away if it takes it's time stat is sticky and needs replacing you will see air bubbles escape to show that it is opening.

Best to always run the system with stat

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:19, Wed 06 October 2010 »
What condition is the radiator in?

There really quite small considering and the slightest 'furr up' internally can make it struggle.

andybond

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:00, Thu 07 October 2010 »
Cilit bang is FTW on rads. Just make sure you get the correct cilit bang. Some are for non copper , and some are not for ally ..