Author Topic: Overheating issues  (Read 1279 times)

rudeboyjono

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Overheating issues
« on: 13:44, Wed 06 October 2010 »
Hey,

Is ittrue thatthese engines are so unreliable? I'm really hoping not as I love my car and don't want it to brake down every 2 mins. Do they really overheat alot? Should they be able to idle like a normal car without over heating? Because if so then I have probs. Mine won't. After 10 mins I have to kill or I'd cook it. Just wondering if this is normal. I assume not

Thanks

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Overheating issues
« Reply #1 on: 15:44, Wed 06 October 2010 »
These cars are not that unreliable but don't forget even the new ones are 20 years old now so will no doubt need a fair bit of tinkering to keep it in tip top condition.

If your having cooling problems you need check that you have a good coolant system so be prepared to flush it through properly until clear water comes out and no rust or bits,  I tend to flush my system throuh using a dishwasher or washing up tablet as this will remove alot of the oil, grime in the system, the OE fan should kick in just under the 3rd line.

Is your fan kicking in at all??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Overheating issues
« Reply #2 on: 20:23, Wed 06 October 2010 »
The engines themselves are quite bombproof.

It's everything else that's the problem, but as mentioned 20 years of wear and  tear be prepared to change something every now and then.

Overheating and head gasket failures which these cars seem to be famous for is almost always down to someone raising boost pressure and not checking the fuelling is ok. The standard cooling setup (in good working order) should be as good as any other car.