Author Topic: Hi from Kent  (Read 4393 times)

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Hi from Kent
« on: 23:40, Thu 02 September 2010 »
Hello, I'm Ben.
I picked up a little R5 today. Unfortuantely not a GT5, just a 1.1 Renault 5 Rio?

I got it for 300, It's on a D reg (1987), 12 months MOT with no advisories, and 6 months TAX on it.
It's a solid little Gem, Paint work is still acceptable, few niggles here and there I want to sort.

It was originally bought as a cheap get-me-around until I get paid out for my Golf, Somebody drove into the side of it last month writing it off, Insurance companies are messing me around, the Hire car is being used as a lever, Getting told they'll take it back when they feel etc.

After driving the R5 around town for the past hour or so, I've started to like it, and can probably see myself keeping hold of it.  :)

I've joined the forum to learn a little about them, as with all the other forums I'm on, I know theres an endless amount of information on them, so I'm sure I'll find what im looking for.

Click to enlarge Picture:

What parts from the GT5 will fit this model?

Will I find a nice set of GT5 wheels easy enough?

It's also missing a Parcel Shelf, Been looking at them, but again, can only find GT5 ones on Ebay.

Ideally I'd like to fit a nice set of wheels, and lower it slightly to make it sit nicer, and handle a little less boat like.
It's far from a sports car I know, But it's a good solid shell, and a great starting point for a little project.  :P

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Kent
« Reply #1 on: 08:07, Fri 03 September 2010 »
Welcome to the site Ben  :D

They are such fun and simple cars to have and drive. You could get a nice set of GTT wheels easily and pretty cheap too. And lowering is easy enough... James5 can give you some tips there  :wink:

Good luck with your insurance company as well, they take your money so easily but hate to pay up   :roll: :(

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12:37, Fri 03 September 2010 »
Welcome to the froum matey,

Any queries, concerns, problems or advice just post on the boards or pm if you want.

gtturbo1984

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:27, Sat 06 November 2010 »
300 quid got yaself a right bargin there mate nice 1

get in sit down shut up!!!!!!

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:01, Sat 06 November 2010 »
Respect for how quick you turned this car round and made it look wicked! :D  :D  8)

gtturbo1984

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23:56, Sat 06 November 2010 »
who's that to mate sorry wernt sure if to me or not lol

get in sit down shut up!!!!!!

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:59, Sun 07 November 2010 »
Quote from: "gtturbo1984"
who's that to mate sorry wernt sure if to me or not lol
err.. it was to binge really :mrgreen:  as his was a pants looking standard campus about sixteen foot off the floor and yours is already the real deal..

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23:13, Thu 09 December 2010 »
Saw you sedately driving down the 249 earlier today from Stockbury.. As I never see ANY 5's round here ever, my eyes locked on to your car like a heat seeking missile :D  I take it you live sort of Sittingbourne/Medway area..?

tenby05

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19:47, Sat 11 December 2010 »
welcome!! :P  nice car welldone  :D

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22:04, Thu 13 January 2011 »
Quote from: "5-Mission"
Saw you sedately driving down the 249 earlier today from Stockbury.. As I never see ANY 5's round here ever, my eyes locked on to your car like a heat seeking missile :D  I take it you live sort of Sittingbourne/Medway area..?

Aha really?
Yeah, I live in Gillingham. How did the R5 look?  :lol:

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23:05, Thu 13 January 2011 »
Quote from: "binge"
Aha really?
Yeah, I live in Gillingham. How did the R5 look?  :lol:
exactly like your profile pic but more from the side! You looked like you were conserving petrol. A good idea at the price it is now :lol: I knew it was you from the black section on the sides, only saw you for a sec I was going the other way to Maidstone..

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21:54, Fri 14 January 2011 »
Wouldnt of been saving petrol. It's just a 1.1, It doesnt go any faster than that.

I dont know if the Rio is just STUPIDLY slow, or weather mine is well and truely dead. But up a slight incline on the motorway, I have to drop it down into 4th, and sometimes 3rd.
Today on the way home from work along the A2, I was overtaken by a coach while going up a VERY slight incline on the A2. I was 4th gear, foot flat to the floor.

Proper let down. Cant wait for the 1.7.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22:17, Fri 14 January 2011 »
Cant wait for the 1.7.

you going B18FT?..

binge

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22:55, Fri 14 January 2011 »
F2N I beleive?

It's a 1.7 lump out of a Volvo 340. N/A engine, but still close to 100bhp. A much healthier figure to the current 40bhp~ the 1.1 produces.