Author Topic: My white 5 gtt  (Read 44151 times)

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My white 5 gtt
« Reply #90 on: 09:00, Mon 11 April 2011 »
its the second car he has ever painted   8)

the first car was this one after he had to put a new front end on it as he pulled out of a tight junction and got wiped out.

Sadly this mini died about 6-8 months later when a transit van went straight across a roundabout like a bat out of hell and side swiped the mini sending him 360 round with a nice smashed in rear quarter. But it lives on as the metal we used for welding came off this shell  :D

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 20:14, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Just looked through the history folder

In 2001 it had a new clutch, doesnt say what make
then it had a carb tune up session,
then it had another new clutch in 2001,

And then in 2007 it had a luk clutch fitted
so 4 years of abuise at god knows what power

Time for a uprated sachs clutch :D

rainey_y2k

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 22:32, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Absolutely love this motor mate. massive props to you and your brother. They always look mint in white too! good luck with the clutch mate.

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 23:34, Tue 12 April 2011 »
Lovely new paint !  wish I had a brother that was into cars like me..  must be cool to help each other out,  looks like he's done a quality job!  8)

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 17:46, Wed 13 April 2011 »
took it to work this morning since the weather looked ok and let the niggly faults begin  :lol:

First was the choke wasnt raising the revs - fixed at lunch - throttle linkage needed bending into the right place so the choke cam would move the throttle linkage

Second was i had no speedo  :?  - Fixed at lunch -  tightened and cleaned the connector behind the dash and the one on the n/s inner wing

But its so much fun to drive! a car with character at last  :mrgreen:

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 21:27, Thu 14 April 2011 »
Found a problem

With 2 people and 2 tyres in the boot i have scrubbage on bumps  :x so going to raise it up a bit but one side has no cap over the torsion bar and looks well rusted solid  :cry:

After tonights fun and games the leader board at the moment is  5 turbo 1 - fordy 0, bolt puller arrangement didnt work

Next round will include a slide hammer  :twisted:

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 15:54, Fri 29 April 2011 »
Gearbox is out with the engine in situ.
Its tight but not hard as i've not sworn at it yet this morning.

Big thanks to mike at gt turbo spares for the uprated clutch  8)

Bonnet and bumper off. Covers on and an no zips on trousers rule set down we like the paint work unscratched :)

Gearbox removal

Found my persistant oil leak - rear main oil seal wrong way round  :roll:

Found a possibly cause to my funny vibration at 50mph

Yup thats a hole in the diff and some pretty deep grooves,
The shaft bearings looks fine and theres no pieces floating in the other half of the diff...
On the hunt for a new one might try scrappys tomorrow
If no luck then i'll put it all back in and buy one from renault and do it in situ with the shaft out

So the list of things found wrong:
No roll pin in o/s driveshaft
Rear main oil seal fitted wrong way round causing my oil leak thats gone over the flywheel and clutch
Gearbox n/s diff section has a hole in it and deep grooves

The bro did some cleaning while i removed the gearbox

Now to de-grease and repaint the box silver casing and black end cover like it should be

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 23:52, Fri 29 April 2011 »
Nice work with the gearbox.

Did it drop straight out from underneath? I wonder if this is easier then removing the engine instead?

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 08:17, Sat 30 April 2011 »
it came out the top ash :)

subframe was untouched apart from the n/s bar that goes from the inner wing to wishbone bolt  was undone and pushed all the way done and the engine is jacked up on a rubber block.

fiddly but possible once the right angle is found it just lifts up and damn these boxes are light

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 18:42, Sat 30 April 2011 »
todays progress so far

Right way round now  :roll:

Went on the hunt for a new diff gear and went to the local volvo scrappy as it was the only one open today  :roll:

there is a few good 440 turbos in here hiding

Rolled over a 440 1.8 no turbo and got to work

Oh yeah no more holes

found this awesome idea on the same gearbox, Return spring on the gearbox rather than the linkage. so far it seems to work fine

Gearbox in

Got a mega headache so come in for a rest and tablets so this is as far as i am now

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 18:28, Sun 01 May 2011 »
finished off today

Bailey dump valve removed after finding it was leaking when we was cleaning it

Then we found out a knocking noise from the drivers front wheel when pulling it in and out at the top

Found both top mount bolts loose enough to move
Tried undoing one and it snapped
So off with the drivers strut which turns out to be koni adjustables then ground off the captive nut and rewelded a new nut to the bracket
Refitted it and took out the passenger sides and copper greased them up for good measure and jobs a gooden

Then we decided to put the strut brace on since "fingers crossed/touch wood" all the engine work is done

We then cleaned up the earths on the front of the car and put the bumper and bonnet back on

Took it for a spin up to tesco and treated the car to a full tank of 99 octane, then popped round to halfords for a new clio rear wiper blade and some satin black so we can paint the wiper arms next

Feels good being able to give it full throttle in any gear without having to worry of it slipping anymore

and i love the green box volvo clutch ok its a bit grabby but its not really that hard on the pedal, i've driven worse clutchs in the past

smithyr5gt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 19:05, Sun 01 May 2011 »
Cars looking good mate.
YOU KNOW THE WHITE ONES ARE FASTER!!!

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 21:40, Tue 10 May 2011 »
Small update

Radio wiring has been fixed after some time with continuity tests and finding lives and earths  :D
Radio is a classic kenwood cassette headunit given for free by a friend as i  Didn't want anything fancy to stand out like a swore thumb

Also my new grill from renault for a bargain price

Brother will be painting the grill sometime this week for me. In the meantime he has a Mini A series engine block i need to start building into a turbo block  :roll:

fordy

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 23:21, Sat 14 May 2011 »
Time to update

Grill painted and fitted on, it finally has a sexy looking face rather than a black hole

Then plugged the aem uego on

Majorly lean as boost hits  :x

So ordered a new fpr from renault

Which didn't fix it.. DOH! oh well its another shiney part fitted  :mrgreen:

So onto the lean issue
Tried a few things like accel pump adjustment - no difference :x
Whilst doing a power run down the road the accelerator cable fell out the linkage  :roll:  - fixed on roadside  :lol:
Found a nice major oil leak from the rocker going onto the exhaust making a bit of smoke

So after that i got moody...got home and put the car in the garage (Its favorite place)
Took off the strut brace, rocker cover and carb
Fixed the rocker cover leak

And proceeded to strip down the carb + a good spare on in the garage that hasnt been used for a while

And found this little bugger was semi blocked

So swapped it out for a good spare, and reset the accel pump with a 5mm drill bit

Then i thought lets go for a bar of boost, so swapped the ac jet for a 1mm and drilled the 2nd stage to a 1.2mm and fitted everything back together.

Just need to get a new fuel filter and bleed the coolant and see what we have tomorrow on the aem... fingers crossed at 10psi it overfuels enough for me to up the boost a little to 14 psi  :mrgreen:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 11:29, Sun 15 May 2011 »
car is looking stunning mate  8)