Author Topic: 20v Turbo conversion.  (Read 13463 times)

MATT BLACK

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: 20v Turbo conversion.
« Reply #15 on: 16:17, Tue 19 October 2010 »
For the masses.........

First you will need an AGU lump ( big port head ) found in the 150 bhp audi A3 / Golf gti. Try and get a complete lump from a donor car with the gearbox and shafts etc. The standard crank is good for 450 bhp. I took the bore to 82.5mm ( 1900cc ) and ran JE pistons and IE Rods.

At the time i bought a turbo / manifold and injector kit from Jabba sport but you can pick one up a hell of a lot cheaper than the "at the time 2000" kit ( bearing in mind this was back in 2003 and this was a new thing at the time ) the turbo i used was a IHI VF34 with bosch 440 injectors and a pace intercooler.

I ran a DTA eng man system + loom. A decent fabricator could build you a manifold / down pipe quite easily. The flanges are available from pipe werx ( ian birch ). You will have to fabricate 3 engine mounts ( use the 1.8T units ) o/s/f + n/s/f and a rear dog leg mount.

I used the VAG inner CV and shaft to mate up to the VAG gearbox end, chopped it 3/4 way down and then chopped the renault shaft and inserted it into the hollow VAG shaft, measured it with the renault side of the shaft in the renault hub. Once you get the length right ( make sure car is on the ground with engine and box in ) mark it up, tack it with a mig and then remove it. I drilled straight the both shafts and pinned them + welded the join. The car was just over 400 bhp and the shafts never snapped once.

You can run either a DTA or Emerald set up to supply power to the lump. I also uprated the fuel pump ( walbro unit from an evo )

The VAG gearbox runs an hydraulic clutch with a master and slave cylinder. I cut the master cylinder off a Golf GT TDi clutch pedal and welded it up to the Clio pedal. I than fabricated my own clutch pipe ( used a motor bike reservoir ) and then mated this up to the standard VAG slave cylinder - bleed it up and away you go.

The standard Audi TT clutch handled the power fine. Use the petrol 5 speed box - i made the mistake of fitting a 6 speed Golf GT TDi box with a quaiife LSD which limited my quarter mile time - a 5 speed ( 02J ) would have powered me into the mid 11's no messing.

This gives you a quick insight as to what to do. Theres not much more to it ( i make it sound easy lol ) if you need any help just pm me or email me at renaultengines@hotmail.com

These engines can be taken up to stupid HP ( my pal runs a 750bhp MK1 scirocco that runs 9's ) if youv'e got the coin the sky is your limit.

Matt

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17:03, Tue 19 October 2010 »
Matt, if you don't mind I am going to move this to the DIY section as it's good info. :mrgreen:

woznaldo

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21:14, Tue 24 December 2013 »
Gents, great info in this thread! I have picked up a bit from DG and Scoff during the build on the RTOC, but have you got anymore info and/or pictures on the driveshafts?
Love 5\'s so much I took mine to Oz to scare some V8s

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23:47, Mon 06 January 2014 »
Gents, great info in this thread! I have picked up a bit from DG and Scoff during the build on the RTOC, but have you got anymore info and/or pictures on the driveshafts?

I may have some pic's (might take me some time to find) as when I done my conversion rwd 5 vag I done what scoff original done on his vag conversion which basically cut the shafts to length and then lath the gtt shaft down to slide in the VAG shafts, oh yeah and castle joined them welding together