Author Topic: tungy  (Read 27920 times)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: tungy
« Reply #90 on: 14:46, Sun 09 October 2011 »
things have been s**t for my 5 the last fortnight. was out for a run then It suddenly felt like running on 3 cylinders. I got home (slowly :( ) and did some investigating.

one of the retaining nuts on the rocker arm came loose so valve no7 was not opening.

to make it worse. the nut went down one of the pushrod channels in the head so the only way I could remove it was to remove the head   :(

back of the 5 now looks like this...

whille head was off, did some tests and it looks like one, possibly 2 piston rings are worn.

so the 5 is off the road for the forseeable future till I can afford all the parts.

I am also considering selling my turbo to raise funds, its a turbo technics stage2 T25/2
http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/s117.htm

it has .48 cold side and now with a .47 rear. minimal side play, no in-out play.

will come will a k-tec T3 actuator. Anyone interested drop me a PM.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 16:51, Mon 10 October 2011 »
removed pistons & liners this afternoon with engine in situ....

was pretty straight forward, although I found it a bit awkward teasing the sump out between the subframe and engine mount - any tips to make it easier going back in?

just need to order up all the new parts and get the pistons to the engineers for new rings to be fitted and hone the liners  :D

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 21:08, Mon 10 October 2011 »
Easiest way is to find something to take the weight of the engine and remove the engine mount that gets in the way. Although with some carefull manovering it is possible to refit it with the mount in place.

You will find it twice as hard to refit without smudging off the new sealant. A pig of a job which i have had the misfortune of doing more times then i would like.

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 22:28, Mon 10 October 2011 »
cheers Ash, I will try that and get the mount removed when I get round to refitting   :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #94 on: 18:56, Tue 11 October 2011 »
Graeme, rust hole on inner wing look likes it needs some attention :shock:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 22:35, Tue 11 October 2011 »
in that last pic James?   :(                  thanks for the concern :D  :D

I had a cooland pipe split at the degassing pot some time ago and pink coolant soaked that area. The discoloured (rusty looking colour) is the paint that was affected. I had rubbed part of it with a sponge and the tungsten paint flaked off revealing the original white paint underneath.

I have been looking for a decent rattle can colour to re-do the bay in...Now seems a pretty good time to get it sorted as the engine is more or less in the boot............. :mrgreen:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 10:11, Thu 01 March 2012 »
been a long time since I have updated this....

about 2 weeks after I replaced the rings etc I had major engine failure.... I initially thought that I had spun a bearing or something........... but once I stripped the engine I soon realised it was MUCH worse  :(

A conrod tried to escape through the front of the block  :lol:

the completley mangled piston & liner

so since then I have bought a standard bottom end which I have completley rebuilt. as well as poly-bushing the front end and replacing whishbones, track rods and ball joints, rear disks and pads.

the new engine will be of slightly higher compression to the last one, namley due to a slightly skimmed head and ditching the low comp pistons setup and using standard comp pistons

so this is where im at now  :D   engine is good to go  8)

I just need to repaint part of the bay and the lump is ready to be dropped back in this weekend  :mrgreen:

hughesrobert13

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 21:47, Thu 01 March 2012 »
hope the new lump works out well for you mate.
Every day is a school day !

nadgtt1982

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 12:46, Fri 02 March 2012 »
Good luck matey, you lot get knocked down and just keep getting up again  :)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 06:08, Mon 05 March 2012 »
thanks guys - I just hope this engine works as it should (lasting more than 5 mins) being my first build :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 13:39, Mon 05 March 2012 »
Fingers crossed for you Graeme :D

Do you know how thick your cylinder head is?? prob with running higher comp is det / knock matey.  Might be worth investing in det scope so you can make sure you keep the car tune on the correct side of it :)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 17:53, Mon 05 March 2012 »
cheers James, I hope I have some luck with this one :D  

I had the head measured at 73.3mm.....so its not had a bad life and been skimmed to death :lol:

so engine will only be slightly higher comp than standard ( i think/maybe not with the h/g :?: ) ... I tried using a comp ratio calculator online but I got a little confused on what values it was asking for. So I ditched it!

I will not be running any boost - or maybe just a little... for a while till I rack up some miles, so I will see if I can make some det cans in the mean time! although I would not have a clue what to listen for :mrgreen:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 08:31, Thu 15 March 2012 »
So how's the car doing Graeme, been 10 days  :lol:  you broken it yet  :lol:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 19:53, Thu 15 March 2012 »
:lol:

cheers James.....I have not really driven the 5 properly yet!  I am dying to though!. I have been mad busy with work/uni assesments I have not had much time.  I have had it out my parents garage a couple of times and around their area to check everything works with no leaks...... it sounds awesome with the standard exh mani back on & sidey  :mrgreen: ! - really happy with it :D

I have changed the oil+filter twice though in this short time! and I think I am going to be really strick with it so it wont break on me! - Im sure I will lose the fear (of breaking it) once im boosting properly!

my mate is coming round tomorrow so we will be attacking some electrical gremlins and giving it a good clean!

freshly de-rusted & painted

and here it it all back in 8)