Author Topic: tungy  (Read 27914 times)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: tungy
« Reply #75 on: 00:55, Thu 14 July 2011 »
got a new actuator bracket built up today and upped the boost a little, so now about 19.5-20psi.
with this boost I will prob have to start saving for a bigger turbo soon :mrgreen:

Its really hard to look at the boost guage and the wideband while trying to see where im going. but fueling is spot on bar running rich while town driving..... sitting at 10 with slight throttle cruising 30 - 40 mph.

I have not enlarged the main jet only second stage and AC, any tricks on how to get better economy but keep the boost level?

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 02:54, Tue 30 August 2011 »
hey tubby check out the diy section mate ,its all explained in there ,also steve L and james5 are legends for advice in this area ,just fire them a message bud !!! 8)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 13:01, Wed 31 August 2011 »
Quote from: "bazr5gtt"
hey tubby check out the diy section mate ,its all explained in there ,also steve L and james5 are legends for advice in this area ,just fire them a message bud !!! 8)

Cheers baz, yeah the article in the diy section is great and has helped me alot on understanding the carb. Main jet is standard,  I have only enlarged the second stage to 1.3 and dropped the a/c down to 0.9. This has given me great results on boost. The off boost conditions were poor before I changed jets as I had the wideband installed for a few days before messing with the carb.

Ive now got a 2mm needle valve which has stopped the bowl from emptying - the 5 flies up to 110 no bother now!  :mrgreen:

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #78 on: 14:02, Wed 31 August 2011 »
Needle jet not sealing properly

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 15:07, Wed 31 August 2011 »
It could be james, but It was the same conditions when I had the standard needle valve in there! Now I have a brand new 2mm needle from german ebay.

I may change the copper washer in the carb and tighten it up as much as I can, see if anything changes

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 15:12, Wed 31 August 2011 »
Quote from: "tubbyG"
It could be james, but It was the same conditions when I had the standard needle valve in there! Now I have a brand new 2mm needle from german ebay.

I may change the copper washer in the carb and tighten it up as much as I can, see if anything changes

Defo worth a try and what size main you using??  fuel pressure to carb? split gasket's is it a new gasket set??

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 16:10, Wed 31 August 2011 »
Standard main, thats why I was thinking of reducing it - then I would prob need to turn boost down. If it stays dry tonight I will take the top of the carb off and check everythig over

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 18:35, Wed 31 August 2011 »
Just replaced the carb body and double checked the jets.. So now:
120 main
1.3 second stage
Changed a/c from 0.9 to 1.00

Changed needle jet washer and made sure all was good and tight. Gonna be heading out for a run later so will see then if its made any difference

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 16:16, Mon 05 September 2011 »
Well I seem to be getting closer to getting the fueling sorted, I have replaced a couple of carb gaskets and washers, also adjusted the acc pump slightly which made a slight difference when cruising at light throttle - not sitting at 10 anymore, but there is only room for minor adjustment between bogging down/hesitating and better afr's.
Also had to lower boost a touch as I couldnt get the 0.9 A/C out of the old carb body.

Now I will have to change the starter motor for the second time in a month as it has died again  :evil:

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 16:21, Sun 18 September 2011 »
I have now drilled out the second stage to 1.4mm and upped the boost a bit to 20psi  :D

While the carb was off I decided to paint some brackets from the bay to make things look more pleasing

Clean parts

As it looks now

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 12:16, Sun 25 September 2011 »
I have finally got round to overhauling the carb - and in turn have sorted out the afr's at light throttle  :D  so hopefully will get much better mpg as afr's are now 14-15 part throttle/cruising

before

during

complete :mrgreen:

I believe this to be the culprit of the awful economy I was experiencing

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 12:23, Sun 25 September 2011 »
got tired of having to clean off all the oil vavour that had escaped through the rocker cover breather so decided to fit a pikey catch tank :mrgreen:

works really well too!!!

one of my pics for the rtoc renault turbo game :D

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 20:23, Sun 25 September 2011 »
Love the pic is that the loch ness monster in the back ground  :D

Sorry to read about your recent oil problem's defo comp test that engine, was it breathing really heavy before?

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 21:55, Sun 25 September 2011 »
looking good mate ,tidied up that engine aswell ,keep the pics coming, 8)  8)  8)  8)

tubbyG

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 22:49, Sun 25 September 2011 »
Cheers James, it was breathing rathet alot thats why I saved up for a catch can   :lol:  :lol:

Not sure if the breathing was gradually getting worse or I was becoming more annoyed with wiping the bay down every week!!

Its not sounding too good at the moment, but will have a few hours tomorrow for some investigating. To try and get to the bottom of it  :(