Author Topic: knock sensors? front of head???/? what is it?  (Read 2288 times)

davefox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
knock sensors? front of head???/? what is it?
« on: 14:06, Thu 22 April 2010 »
hi guys been a while since i worked on my 5 but it is getting closer to being finished now the painter has carryed on working on it!! but ive read somewhere on here that the sensor in the front of the cyclinder head is a "knock sensor"?? now i have phoned many suppliers near me euro car parts, cats automotive and also renault them selfs and they dont see this sensor listed for the car. Renault also phoned renault france and got them to check on the micro vision and they also didnt come up with anything....????

Now my problem is that the old one is dirty and looks tatty and i want a nice new shinny one but of course as said none of the suppliers seem to list them...... does anyone happen to know where i can get one? or the part number for it so i can order it from renault?

Any help is great welcomed

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
Re: knock sensors? front of head???/? what is it?
« Reply #1 on: 15:26, Thu 22 April 2010 »
Quote from: "davefox"
hi guys been a while since i worked on my 5 but it is getting closer to being finished now the painter has carryed on working on it!! but ive read somewhere on here that the sensor in the front of the cyclinder head is a "knock sensor"?? now i have phoned many suppliers near me euro car parts, cats automotive and also renault them selfs and they dont see this sensor listed for the car. Renault also phoned renault france and got them to check on the micro vision and they also didnt come up with anything....????

Now my problem is that the old one is dirty and looks tatty and i want a nice new shinny one but of course as said none of the suppliers seem to list them...... does anyone happen to know where i can get one? or the part number for it so i can order it from renault?

Any help is great welcomed

It is listed on the Renault dialogys I will pull of the number tonight when I get home it's about 75.00+ from memory maybe more now as Renault prices are going up.
Mike aka Phase 1 16v turbo on here should be able to source a good used one for alot less.

davefox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15:55, Thu 22 April 2010 »
Thanks alot that sounds great i get trade prices from renault anyway so will see how much it is! Just had a brand new bonnet from them 122. Which i dont think is too bad

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22:10, Sun 25 April 2010 »
Sorry for late response part number is 7700726011 but that is for the phase 1 version can;t bring up the part number for a phase 2 for some reason the picture appears on screen just no part number :?

davefox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:27, Mon 26 April 2010 »
hi cheers thats great. wonder wether its the same thing? since the aei is the same from phase 1 to 2?

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11:41, Mon 26 April 2010 »
hi cheers thats great. wonder wether its the same thing? since the aei is the same from phase 1 to 2?

I would say it's identical but the prob would be the cable being shorter for the phase 1 as the AEI is located over the turbo (Although Scratcher may be able to advise as i think he has just moved his AEI from over the turbo to behind the bulkhead), where as the phase 2 is in the bulkhead and is 2 cables with a 3 pin circular connection.

Weird how it's not showing any part numbers but the image is clearly on my dialogy screen and I am running the newest Renault Dialogy's.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14:56, Mon 26 April 2010 »
Do you really HAVE to have one?

The wiring for mine looks a bit funky, thought about just removing it.

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16:43, Mon 26 April 2010 »
Mine doesn't have one fitted and the wires are kind of looped at the AEI.
I'll get a picture.

I always thought the Phase 1's didn't have it?

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16:45, Mon 26 April 2010 »
This is how the wiring into the plugs looks on mine. You can see what I mean on the left.

davefox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13:51, Tue 27 April 2010 »
thanks alot for that James big help ended up calling him with the part number so that we knew what they listed the sensor as then just looked for it in the phase 2 parts list but it was in french lol but we got there in the end to me trade was 57 + vat

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14:08, Tue 27 April 2010 »
thanks alot for that James big help ended up calling him with the part number so that we knew what they listed the sensor as then just looked for it in the phase 2 parts list but it was in french lol but we got there in the end to me trade was 57 + vat

Glad it assisted in someway :lol: weird as I based the search on my 5 GTT which is a phase 2 ohwell at least you got there :)

davefox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14:26, Tue 27 April 2010 »
well lets see what turns up on thursday lol its in stock in the uk.....

davefox

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13:12, Thu 29 April 2010 »
oyes bang on the money appears to be the right sensor thanks for the help James hopefully when i find my project thread in the pages since its been so long since i updated i will have a big update to do within the next week or so