Author Topic: My 89 GT-T  (Read 66194 times)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: My 89 GT-T
« Reply #180 on: 17:28, Tue 06 November 2012 »
I managed to get the windscreen out. The outer and middle seals are salvagable, the inner seal is shot though (probably good practice to replace this one regardless of condition anyway).

I fell at the last hurdle and applied a little too much pressure.

I had hoped to reuse it, however there were 2 scuff marks on the passenger side caused by worn wiperblades at some point so maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

The corrosion is quite bad.

I'm going to stay positive and consider myself lucky that the lip is still intact meaning i've still got a shape to work with when it comes to welding new material in.

The wiper mechanism will need removing and the whole panel grinding back, i think I can see filler down there.

Light doesn't last long in the evenings, next job is slowly cutting out all this excess sealant.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 16:24, Sat 10 November 2012 »
I have managed to cut out the rot. A quick run with the flap wheel exposed the true extent of the tin worm.

007 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

004 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

002 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

This will need more then a dab of fibreglass and skim of filler, no choice but to just cut it out.

015 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

011 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

014 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

Popping the windscreen in shows more clearly how much crusty metal had to be removed.

021 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

020 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

Apart from that, the rest of the screen surround is free of rot. Just these two smaller holes on the drivers side pillar.

017 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

Plan now is to cut and shape the replacement sections throughout next week, with a hope of welding it all up next weekend.

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 15:08, Fri 28 December 2012 »
A real credit to you, nice work..it's all worth it in the end.. cant wait to see it when its all sparkling and ready to rumble again!  :wink:

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ninebarsoundsystem.com/.
« Reply #183 on: 12:22, Thu 03 January 2013 »
This is exactly the next thing I need to do on my 5, looking forward to seeing more work done to help me along the way  :) . keep up the good work.

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 13:48, Thu 03 January 2013 »
Respect for taking this on as it looks like quite a daunting task due to the amount of metal removal. So the plan is to fabricate the replacement sections in plate and weld in. I was lucky I only had a few small holes when i took my screen out, it was the filling and sanding that seemed to take ages.
At least yours is a flat colour though - trust me you never get a proper match to the original  paint with metallic and lacquer! Best of luck with it.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 16:56, Thu 03 January 2013 »
Thank You for the praise.

There has been a change of plan regarding the fabrication of new material, I have managed to source a replacement scuttle panel so the plan now is to just cut out out and replace the whole lot, assuming the rain stops long enough. I really wish I had a garage at this point.

Then its paint, seals and replacement screen. Hopefully the car will be nice and water tight and no more whistling along the motorway.

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 20:43, Thu 03 January 2013 »
Bloody hell..   I like these cars a lot,  but nothing like some of you guys do!  Well done with all the hard work..  there must be a repair and weld gold medal award somewhere around here!  :wink:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 22:35, Tue 05 February 2013 »
After waiting since the 19th December, I finally managed to get the replacement panel.

I didn't see the donor car, but I'm guessing someones lairy flip paint R5 got chopped up not so long ago.

Untitled by MrAsh84, on Flickr

I don't need all the material supplied here, i'm only after the top (outside) layer, so the first job is removing that. Just a few spot welds.....apparently.

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 17:42, Fri 08 February 2013 »
That new panel looks just the job, should have you rust free in no time, good luck, I know that is not an easy job to weld in but I'm sure you'll have it done no problem  :)

I got my screen out, I need some small sections of a panel like that. *makes call...

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 21:25, Fri 08 February 2013 »
I've just seen the pictures of yours. Looks like we're in the same boat.

It's going to be a bit of an adventure, I'll probably get cracking on with it sometime next week. The new section is free from rust surprisingly.

Apparently, in each corner there should be a drain hole at the bottom. If the person who fits the windscreen goes a bit crazy with the sealant then these holes get covered up and the water gets trapped......leading to one very big hole!  :lol: Something to remember when refitting a new screen.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 15:51, Thu 21 February 2013 »
More updates.

The old scuttle panel was easy to remove, 4 spot welds on each inner wing and another 4 on the bonnet catch. I didn't need to drill the spot welds along the top edge for obvious reasons. :D

IMG20130221_001 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

IMG20130221_002 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

Then I marked out where to cut on the pillars, and made a note of the measurements and removed the old section.

IMG20130221_005 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

Removed everything but the wiring from the scuttle area, hopefully there doesn't seem to be anything nasty hiding underneath the battery tray. The battery tray itself looks a bit crusty though.

IMG20130221_003 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

IMG20130221_004 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

Next I had to get a flapwheel on the edge where the new panel will attach to, this cleaned up OK apart from the drivers side corner (where the original leak was) I had to cut this section out and weld a new lip in.

IMG20130221_006 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

It's looking a bit sorry for itself at the moment. I packed up after that, ready to prepare the replacement panel and hopefully get it all tacked up tomorrow.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 16:32, Fri 22 February 2013 »
Even more updates!

I didn't take any 'during' pictures really, it was cold out and I just wanted to crack on! It basically went like this,

1. Remove spot welds and cut to size the replacement panel.
2. Clean up all the areas that were to be welded, remove paint etc.
3. Line up new panel (PITA...) Luckily the neighbour had plenty of clamps I could borrow.
4. Buzzed along with the welder, started in the centre working outwards.

I ended up with this, most the welding is done, really just a few more spots on the drivers side and the 4 spots that join the bonnet catch onto the scuttle panel.

IMG20130222_001 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

IMG20130222_002 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

The bonnet is lifted in the centre because the bonnet supports on each wing have been removed.

IMG20130222_003 by MrAsh84, on Flickr

I don't think that old windscreen is going to be up to another lift. It's getting very creaky.

Once the welding is finished i'll tidy up with the flap wheels and get some red oxide on the bare metal.

Then it's onto the filling and primering etc.

Jeff Ninebar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 17:48, Mon 25 February 2013 »
Looking good Ash, Mike GT spares has cut me out a panel so I can do mine, seeing yours going in so nicely has given me the confidence to crack on with it  :D

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 21:39, Mon 25 February 2013 »
Cover the window in tape man

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 21:44, Mon 25 February 2013 »
Quote from: "Jeff Ninebar"
Looking good Ash, Mike GT spares has cut me out a panel so I can do mine, seeing yours going in so nicely has given me the confidence to crack on with it  :D

Thanks.

Just take your time, that's what I did. Separating the replacement panel into the sections I needed was the slowest task, simply just trying not to dent it all up.

Quote from: "sparkysparks"
Cover the window in tape man

I was thinking something along those lines, if only to keep the splinters of glass in place! It shouldn't be around for much longer.

Speaking of which, what the hell do I do with it? My recycling bin accepts glass....but on this scale?  :lol: