Author Topic: help with 1.7turbo volvo engine  (Read 4659 times)

gsmarques

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
help with 1.7turbo volvo engine
« on: 19:29, Tue 30 March 2010 »
hi mates..

tell me something..
can i put the 1.7 turbo engine in my renault 11 turbo without electronic parts?
the setup is easy..
volvo 1.7 turbo engine with r5 gtt carbs

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: help with 1.7turbo volvo engine
« Reply #1 on: 20:09, Tue 30 March 2010 »
Yes it is possible as you can use a manifold off a carb 1.7 versions and mod the base of the manifold to accept the carb.

To be honest there is no real gain in doing this and taking the fuel injection off for a carb isn't the way to go really.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

gsmarques

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:28, Tue 30 March 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Yes it is possible as you can use a manifold off a carb 1.7 versions and mod the base of the manifold to accept the carb.

To be honest there is no real gain in doing this and taking the fuel injection off for a carb isn't the way to go really.

i have a friend here with a r5 gtt b18ft and he tell me that volvo electronic sucks and i have to agree that carb is better to tune and drive..

if i had 1.7 engine on carb i have more displacement on the engine and c1j engine head problems solved...i think..

so what i was thinking was...
-b18ft engine
-renault 5 gtt group A carb
-t25 turbo with t3 actuator
-port and polish head (and some other things)
-re 209 ignition
-exhaust manifold modified
-intake manifold modified
-more eficient intercooler
-oil cooler
-water cooler
-better radiator
-and some other stuff..

what i was thinking was..
first: engine look was kile original one
second: more displacement = more power
third: no more head problems

so what do you think??
sorry my bad english :lol:  :lol:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20:52, Tue 30 March 2010 »
Providing the fuelling is ok and the coolant system is in good working order there really isn't such a big issue with the standard cylinder head, unfortunatley this seems to be a common 'myth'.

gsmarques

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21:26, Tue 30 March 2010 »
:lol:
here in portugal we havenīt good engines to buy..
if you need an engine head you are in trouble, second hand is impossible to get one in good condition, new head is a fortune...

my engine head isnīt ok and im not buy a new head for more then 500Ģ, thats insane..!

well im gonna buy the b18ft engine and im gonna put gr.A carb! lets se what hapens..

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16:04, Wed 31 March 2010 »
Totally disagree with you about the fuel injection being crap, how can it be worse than a 25mm venturi carb? Also a grp A carb is worse than a standard carb mate.

If you feel the injectors or ecu are bad on the volvo then change them, i'm doing my volvo conversion at the moment and have changed all the bits on it to provide the bets power from it, should be seeing me past the 300bhp mark easily.

Larger capacity doesn't always mean more power, to get most out of an engine you want it to breath better so head and cam work is the way to go.
One big limitation in the Volvo engine is the cam so i would be doing something about that before anything else.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14:24, Wed 07 April 2010 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Totally disagree with you about the fuel injection being crap, how can it be worse than a 25mm venturi carb? Also a grp A carb is worse than a standard carb mate.

If you feel the injectors or ecu are bad on the volvo then change them, i'm doing my volvo conversion at the moment and have changed all the bits on it to provide the bets power from it, should be seeing me past the 300bhp mark easily.

Larger capacity doesn't always mean more power, to get most out of an engine you want it to breath better so head and cam work is the way to go.
One big limitation in the Volvo engine is the cam so i would be doing something about that before anything else.

Mark,
Have you considered doing a right up on the 1.7 volvo conversion as there seems to be alot of peeps going this way at the moment?

With reference to using a carb over injection you must be nuts to go carb