Author Topic: rebuild engine  (Read 3218 times)

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
rebuild engine
« on: 22:56, Wed 10 March 2010 »
the engine i got is worse than i fort so i was thinking of simply rebuilding the engine and was wondering what parts i should look at getting for it , i think at some point h/gasket or water pump gone as there is a large amount of a stain of white stuff, which i was informed was something todo with water. so im going to replace water pump, pump gasket what else should i do while i have this off ?,

pschiii

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: rebuild engine
« Reply #1 on: 09:08, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Hi ,
the first thing you have to do is find the cause of the white stuff : damaged head gasket , broken liners ... on the condition that the white stuff is inside the engine ( on a piston , in the oil sump ...) . Then once you found , to make an engine that will last many miles , you can replace the following parts :
spark plugs , piston rings at the minimum or the pistons/liners depending on the mileages of the engine and the damages you found , all the seals , the head gasket , the timing chain / timing chain tensioner , the main shell bearings , the big end shell bearings , the thrust washers , and check or replace the oil pump .
What you will have to check also is the flateness of the cylinder head and the condition of the crankshaft .
There is a valuable rule : when you work on an engine , work in clean condition .
Good work .
Cheers

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17:04, Thu 11 March 2010 »
the engine will be getting taken out of the garage and moved to my house where i can work on it in the warm and upto silly times of night if need be..well the white stuff is over the pump n block so i think it mite have a h/gasket problem. unless its the pump itself thats leaked over the block, as it comes with a spare pump, inlet mainfold. which is confusing, cant reli check if hgasket gone as where its been sitting since 03 they have drained all fluids out

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17:46, Thu 11 March 2010 »
When you pull the herad off mate you can tell if the head gasket has gone, there will be some sort of markings on there to give indication of what/if something has gone wrong
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20:43, Thu 11 March 2010 »
okay, well im going to strip the car down soon. what is the best way to start stripping the 5s down as i have a lot of pipework and wiring around. i think mark 1s my cash flow sorted i need ya to sort the wiring out as there so many wires around this bay its silly and there so badly chopped up

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22:17, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Quote from: "jayy.cfg"
okay, well im going to strip the car down soon. what is the best way to start stripping the 5s down as i have a lot of pipework and wiring around. i think mark 1s my cash flow sorted i need ya to sort the wiring out as there so many wires around this bay its silly and there so badly chopped up

Yeah thats cool mate, once your sorted let me know and i'll sort it all out for you mate.
I got a wiring loom here for your engine once your ready.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16:38, Fri 12 March 2010 »
yeah sorry i been long on it. jus issues with money. but its getting sorted out