Author Topic: HELP !!!!  (Read 3524 times)

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
HELP !!!!
« on: 21:58, Wed 10 March 2010 »
havin problems with my r5 gtt just been driving home and it completely died on me....

was running fine then nothink, and didnt start back up, just had the embaressment of being towed home !!!

has plently of fuel in it.

any ideas ?

pschiii

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: HELP !!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22:28, Wed 10 March 2010 »
Hi ,
 you can check 2 things : first if the fuel arrives to your carb , then if you have a spark to your sparkplugs .
This is the first step to diagnose the problem . Once you've got it ,we can help to solve the problem
Cheers .

gareth

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 00:05, Thu 11 March 2010 »
hi there as said check feul an spark another thing that might be worth checking is earths from engine to body to battery can snap and cause none starting
Goodluck

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:33, Thu 11 March 2010 »
hi have checked this morning and have fuel going to carb but no spark ? i put new plugs, dizzy cap, rotar arm and leads on last month all connections look in new condition still ?

do you rekon i need a new aei unit ?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:56, Thu 11 March 2010 »
TDC Sensor? Check the connections, and also make sure the wire hasn't melted on the turbo/exhaust.

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12:24, Thu 11 March 2010 »
right been fiddling with it (also hit the aei unit in a rage) and now it works ? any ideas why this could happen ?

dont want this to occur again !

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14:26, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Perhaps there was a loose connection/plug and you knocked it back together.
Have a little look at all the plugs on the aei unit and the relay next to it is plugged in.
It'd be worth checking the tdc wires like Ash said incase one has split.

pschiii

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16:11, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Hi ,
as mentionned you can check all the connections and the TDC sensor wire , a bad connection or some shit could have be the cause of your problem .
Now another point , is it a phase one with the AEI above the turbo or is it a phase 2 with the AEI under the windscreen ?
If it is a phase 1 and since your AEI started to work again after it had received a shock ( apart from that , just relax when you work ) , the heat produced by the turbo could have damaged it . It happened once to me .
The only way to know if that is the cause is if it will break down again in a short period . That's the bad point .
If it is a phase one and if you want to remove it from above the turbo to under the wind screen , the only specific part you need is the phase 2 wire between the AEI and the distributor cap . It takes 30 minutes to modify .
Cheers

gt alan

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17:02, Thu 11 March 2010 »
sorry to hijack ur thred, but could i ask what the aei unit is and what it dose thanks

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19:13, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Quote from: "gt alan"
sorry to hijack your thred, but could i ask what the aei unit is and what it dose thanks

The AEI unit is in the bulkhead mate on phase 2 cars, over turbo attached to bulkhead on phase 1.
It delivers spark to the dizzy, works on vacumm from the inlet manifold so it can advance and retard ignition timing to compensate for boost pressure.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20:16, Thu 11 March 2010 »
it is a e reg r5gtt but the aei unit is on the engine side of the bulkhead ?

pschiii

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22:06, Thu 11 March 2010 »
Quote from: "bniasR5GTT"
it is a e reg r5gtt but the aei unit is on the engine side of the bulkhead ?

Yes , so if it is on the engine side of the bulkhead , over the turbo , it is a phase one or one of the very first phase 2 .
Do you have a turbo heatshield ?

bniasR5GTT

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23:02, Thu 11 March 2010 »
no i have no heat shield,

so tomorrow im gonna move it but is it already too late and i need another one, can you get it rekon'd or am i looking at a second hand one or new ?

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13:08, Fri 12 March 2010 »
Quote from: "bniasR5GTT"
no i have no heat shield,

so tomorrow im gonna move it but is it already too late and i need another one, can you get it rekon'd or am i looking at a second hand one or new ?

E plate cars are commonly known as the Phase 1.5 as they incorporate bits from both the phase 1 and the Phase 2 GTT.   It is quiet common for the AEI's to fail on the phase 1's due to the location of the AEI being over the turbo thus suffering from heat damage even though a heat shield maybe in place a GTT engine bay can get pretty warm.  Personally I would try a known working or buy a known working used AEI then relocate it to the Phase 2 position which is just behind the bulkhead this will give it some heat protection.