Author Topic: gay campus  (Read 7429 times)

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
gay campus
« on: 20:30, Fri 05 March 2010 »
hi guys, just got me my 1st 5 but its a campus...ah well its a rust free and clean example 68k on the clock and the most basic car perhaps in the hole of the western world.

my main interests are

turbo conversion from c1j (ive read the rightup)
cooling? can you use gt turbo oil and water cooling kits??
brakes? are the campus fronts as same as gtt? can i do a rear disc swap?
wiring? does any of it need to be changed for the turbo setup??
my horn doesnt work? is this a common problem?
both rear licence plate lights dont work? is this a fuse or short or just bulbs? also is it common??

cheers, matt

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: gay campus
« Reply #1 on: 20:47, Fri 05 March 2010 »
Rear numberplate bulbs just pop out. Either the bulbs are blown, or the connections are dirty. I don't know if theres a separate fuse for them as they come on with the sidelights.

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20:56, Fri 05 March 2010 »
luckily theres a rear disc axle just popped up nearish me so if you guys can confirm it will fit my car il get it

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21:51, Fri 05 March 2010 »
The axles are different, campus ones have enclosed torsion bars but the turbo one is open. However i'm guessing the mounts are the same.

The brakes might be awkward, not sure if you can use the current rear load brake valve or if you need to change it to a turbo one.

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22:21, Fri 05 March 2010 »
well ive got a haynes manual on its way so i guess il do some intense reading while im on the bog

djmers

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=454
« Reply #5 on: 11:00, Sat 06 March 2010 »
Hi Matt i have just finished a project of the same sort i had a 86 phase 1 which was badly rusted so picked up a campus and followed with the conversion, i can confirm that the gt complete rear axle just bolts on to the campus with x4 19mm nuts, you can put the gt brake compensator on but the problem i had is my campus did not have a brake compensator in the first place with no brackets so i just plumed in new brake lines from the servo at the front straight to the rear calipers and then will put inline those adjustable race compensators and set it up myself, it wont be pressure loading but i can then fine adjust myself.
The calipers i believe are the same with the standard gt discs the problem ive got is my campus pad carriers are not wide enough for my 285mm disc which are 28mm thick i did order gt carriers from cgb motorsport but they were the same as the campus so trying to overcome this myself but you will not have this problem if you are using the standard discs.
The handbrake cable will just bolt straight on no problem.
If you are putting a gt engine in or converting to a turbo you will have to sort the fueling out,
this means you got two choices, first if you would like the reserve tank like the gt has you will need the reserve fuel pump and all the wiring leading up to the front of the car.
Second choice is to leave it as is without the reserve tank like what i did and which makes life a lot easier and you dont have to plum in extra breather and fuel pipes.
You have to do this if you want it running right, you will need to change the fuel pumo which is under the tank to a bosch gt pump and change the fuel filter while your there then trace the feed and return fuel pipes from the pump and tank to the front which will be located to the drivers side there you will put a fuel pressure regulator either a gt one or an aftermarket adjustable one doesn't matter you just dont have to tinker with gt one just bolt and go. Look for a breather pipe which goes of to the passenger side from the tank, just blank these off.

Thats the major important things i think off now but feel free to ask any questions.

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13:24, Sat 06 March 2010 »
youve reached legend status in my eyes mate thats a bloody handy bit of info there :D

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14:24, Sat 06 March 2010 »
got the plate lights workin! bloody t hings werent even plugged in!

anyone know where the horn and related wiring is located?

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17:52, Sat 06 March 2010 »
When doing the conversion you will need the 5 gt turbo cooling system, all pipes tanks and rad.

When i done my campus turbo conversion the front brakes had to be swapped completely, calipers are too slim for the gt disc's so have to fit gt calipers.
If your going to fit gt suspension too you'll need to swap the hubs over also.

Wiring, i used the campus loom as i only wired up the basic stuff on the engine and kept the camous dash and clocks. If you want gt clocks and all guages to work i would fit the gt engine loom.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 00:08, Sun 07 March 2010 »
Quote from: "hondaman"
got the plate lights workin! bloody t hings werent even plugged in!

anyone know where the horn and related wiring is located?

The relay is behind the passenger headlight. The horn itself should be down there somewhere as well.

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:10, Mon 15 March 2010 »
its all good, i sprayed wd40 on the horn and it works now :)

however i just found my CAMPUS to be leaking fuel from the tank which apears to be from a turbo so wtf that is doing there i dont know, ive heard its a common problem so ive bought a campus tank from CGB :)

5gttaron

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19:30, Tue 16 March 2010 »
hi ive also done a campus conversion and am just finishing off everything is compleated apart from that fuel breather pipe needs to be blocked? (i guess thats y the car is acting up a little bit when you rev it) and ive gotta wire up the gt dash! is that difficult? apart from that everything seems good :) gotta do the brakes aswell and probs the rear axel but im not sure yet because the car is lowered and had a new torsion bar in, is it hard to create new brakelines??

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21:55, Tue 16 March 2010 »
nah brake lines are piss if you have a brake pipe flaring kit and some copper brake line
also theres a chap on ebay that makes em for r5s :)

i was gunna do all the handling mods before i go anywhere near the engine

5gttaron

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 00:05, Wed 17 March 2010 »
yeah ive done the suspension ages ago and its just as good as a r5 turbos and thats bin confermed by my freind who had one for a while but killed it :(  got a turbo shell in the drive so i mite just have a look at the way the brakes work and copy it onto the campus lol, so the rear axel is really easy to change then??

hondaman

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16:11, Wed 17 March 2010 »
i dunno about easy having  never done one but so far ive gathered that youl need the rear subframe/discs/hubs/calipers/carriers and the handbrake cables from the campus can be used and youl also need the little brake bias adjuster which is fookin expensive fro cgb (130) and its all bolt on