Author Topic: throttle problem  (Read 1836 times)

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
throttle problem
« on: 15:08, Mon 15 February 2010 »
the accelerator pedal is completly stiff and wont pull the cable. there doesnt seen to be anything wrong on the carb so am i right in thinking the cables broke?, seems strange for it to not move if it is. also this literally happened over night which is even more strange :S

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
Re: throttle problem
« Reply #1 on: 15:21, Mon 15 February 2010 »
Is the pedal still up right or flat against the floor plan , ?

IIRC when either the throttle cable or the clutch cable snaps the tension forces the pedal to the floor But your saying its stiff . which should mean that the cable is infact still attached

If its still in the normal posistion , then it hasn't snapped .

Maybe its getting cought up ?

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15:29, Mon 15 February 2010 »
yeah the pedals still in the normal position. i discconected the cable from the carb and its still stiff

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #3 on: 15:35, Mon 15 February 2010 »
Sounds like accelerator retaining bolt / plate is done up to tight, slacken it off a bit and see what happens.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 15:38, Mon 15 February 2010 »
o0oo :shock:

Strange , I would be inclined to have a look around the pedal itself make sure nothing is protruding the pedal itself .

Get yourself a torch and bury your head in the drivers footwell and have a look,

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15:56, Mon 15 February 2010 »
right dissconnected it from the pedal and tryed to pull it. didnt budge.so nothing to do with the pedal. as for the clamp thing, that only holds the outside of the cable so it cant be that, plus the fact it was fine one day and stiff the next without even touching it.

James5

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rtoc.org/boards/member.php?u=34
« Reply #6 on: 16:48, Mon 15 February 2010 »
Quote from: "Flash666"
right dissconnected it from the pedal and tryed to pull it. didnt budge.so nothing to do with the pedal. as for the clamp thing, that only holds the outside of the cable so it cant be that, plus the fact it was fine one day and stiff the next without even touching it.

Trust me if the clamp is to tight it will crimp the cable within, but if it's not been touched and the cable has gone stiff and not moving at all I would say that the cable isn't lubricated enough and would recomend you pick up a new accelerator cable from Renault about 25.

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15:38, Wed 17 February 2010 »
i cant seem to get the damn thing out  :x help!!!

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22:50, Wed 17 February 2010 »
Did you undo the clamp like James suggested?
Take the other end off of the carb and see if it'll move from that end too. Could need a massive lubing session.

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 00:17, Thu 18 February 2010 »
yeah the cables completely disconnected both ends, unhooked from clips and everything, (decided to replace it). its just the rubber gromit in the bulkhead in the footwell thats posing a problem. also how ling do parts normally take to come from cgb if anyone knows?

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17:28, Fri 19 February 2010 »
not long usually, but it is the weekend now so prob be looking at tuesday - wednesday?

Rob@BYR

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22:32, Fri 19 February 2010 »
Do you run the short or long cable? (long over turbo, loops back)...? did you drive the car hard for the engine bay temps to get high the day before, mite be that you have slightly melted the plastic sleeve on the cable... not a fan of the long cables.. this has happened to 4 cars ive seen but was years ago too.... just a thought...

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:56, Sat 20 February 2010 »
yh it runs along the bulkhead towards the turbo then comes back so i assume so. and yh i did drive it pretty hard before parking up for the night. i did notice some holes in the outer casing but they shouldn't really affect the cable as its inside another sleeve.

Flash666

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 17:47, Wed 24 February 2010 »
well turns out the cable maybe have been "seized" by the turbo melting the plastic casing, shrinking it around it. replaced it with a new cable which doesn't come with the extra heat shield around it like the original. 1 day later the exact same thing happens so its now shorter and loops back before the turbo.