Author Topic: Hello from Holland!  (Read 10559 times)

Merijn

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault-tuning.com
Hello from Holland!
« on: 11:40, Sun 03 January 2010 »
Hi Guys,

I just registered here and believe that I should introduce myself and my Cinq. ;)

I'm Merijn, 29 years of age and I live in the south of Holland. From a young age I've always wanted a Renault 5 GT Turbo and as soon as I passed my driving-exam, I got one. A '87 Alpine-blue pile of rust, which I couldn't keep in the road after 9 months of fun, when it needed its annual MOT check. No cash to fix it, no knowledge whatsoever, so there was no other option than to try and sell it.

Here's a picture of it when I just got it, back in 2001. Sorry for the crappy quality.

After that I decided I needed a newer, little bit more reliable car, but still something fun. After I searched the net for a while, I ran into quite a nice Clio Williams and as soon as I got it technically checked, I decided to buy it. It was a phase 1, 1993 Clio Williams #0793.

But eventually it had to go and then some years came, when I cheated on Renault for a while... I had a Corsa, Polo, Saxo, Golf, etc. But I had never forgotten about the GT Turbo! :)

So when I was surfing the net and found a 1989 GT Turbo in pearl white with some technical issues for only 250, I couldn't live with myself not buying it... :)

This is how it looked when I picked it up back in 2004.

Obviously the car needed some attention, but at least it was better than the one I had to sell in 2002! :) And it was damn cheap... So, after optimistically starting to take it apart I found some things I didn't really like and the further it went, the more I found. So, to make a long story short, it has been rebuilt almost completely after 5 years.

Some of the things that have been done:
- Complete respray
- Rebuilt standard engine
- New headlight. foglight, rear lights, repeaters (clear)
- New windows all around
- New dash (speedo, etc)
- New Samco hoses (black)
- New K-Tec slash-cut exhaust system
- New CGB uprated intercooler
- New yellow Koni's + OMP lowering spring
- MBCC Shirt Shifter + clutch pin
- and a whole lot more...

This is how the car is looking right now.

Last week I fitted the new Ronal R50 Aero's and for now that's how it's going to stay for a while. The car has only done about 600 km now and I just want to cruise around as soon as winter's gone. We'll see what I want to change, but I like to keep it clean, so no bodykits or something.

For more pictures of this projects (600+), check this out: http://picasaweb.google.com/merizzle

BTW, I also have a 1989 Renault 21 2.0 Turbo and a Clio 16V racer which I use on Nurburgring and Zandvoort.

Cheers! :)
[size=85]No Religion. No Flag. No Fear.[/size]

Ruivar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Holland!
« Reply #1 on: 13:14, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Hi Merjin!

I love your GT turbo! And I agree with you on the clean look. It looks very nice!

Cheers
What happens when you blow on fire?

Merijn

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13:59, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Thanks! :D

I just checked out your topic, but no pics yet. Do you have any? I'm always curious to see other people's GTT's! :D

Ruivar

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16:49, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Hi,

yes I know I need to post some pictures of my Renault, but I actually haven't photographed it yet. I can tell you that it's still a work in progress, so at the moment it doesn't look as I want it to look. The problem is I use it as an every day car, so a major overhaul is impossible at the moment.

But you will find some good looking 5's on this site! I know, because I have seen them :D
What happens when you blow on fire?

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
« Reply #4 on: 17:36, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Hi Merijn,

An absolutely ASTOUNDING 5 you've got their mate!! All credit to you!!!  :D

Welcome to the club!  :wink:

Steve

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19:16, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Welcome along Merijn  :D
Its always nice to see owner's cars from over seas  8)
You've certainly put a lot of effort into the car and I have to say it looks perfect!

Merijn

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21:45, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Thanks for the compliments, guys! :D I'm quite happy with it, to be honest. :P Blood, sweat and tears have gone into this car and I have to admit I will never do a project like this again... But now it's finished, I'm happy I did it and haven't sold it when I was sick of it. ;) The real fun has started! :D

I have the feeling that there are many R5-lovers in the UK... Many more than here in Holland. You see them very rarely and when you see them, they are either not well taken care of or they are just modified in a way I don't like them. :P After spending some time on this website I found out you guys are very fond of your french hot hatches! :D  :mrgreen:

If some of you would like to have a nice trip to Holland, it would be really cool if you'd come to our season opener on the 11th of April. We expect around 500 cars, only Renault (unfortunately not only GT Turbo's ;) ) and we'd love to have some British enthousiasts around! :) Make it a weekend and have a party, ey! :D

As soon as everything is arranged I will post the flyer and all the info, if you'd like. For now you can just block the 11th of April in your calendars. :P

DaveL485

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22:11, Mon 04 January 2010 »
Oh yes. Those wheels......drool!!!

Merijn

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:32, Mon 27 May 2013 »
It's been a while since I've been here... I hope all is well! :)

No much has changed to the car, but I decided I wanted to have a set of 15 inchers too and wanted to have a different look for now. The Ronals will probably stay and be fitted again later, with a small spacer, to be able to lower the car a bit more.

I bought a set of Speedline Corse, powdercoated in bright red. :)

The quality is a bit crappy, but it gives you an idea of the looks.

Next up is a new carburettor, fuel pressure regulator and custom made downpipe. :)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11:25, Tue 28 May 2013 »
Hi, Well done on the car - looks absolutely mint now and nice thread! I didn't realise you originally posted it 3yrs ago until I read your last post and looked back!lol

Merijn

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22:37, Tue 03 March 2015 »
It's been a very long while since I've posted here... Mainly because not much has happened. ;)

The car is still very close to the pictures above. I have fitted VibraTechnics engine mounts but after 2000 km's I've replaced them with the original ones again, because of the noise and vibrations inside of the car. I'm not much of a fan of a comfortable car, but this was a bit too much, combined with the exhaust. :)

I don't have any plans to modify the car any time soon, but I'm trying to drive it more regularly. It's been mine for over 10 years now and since the restoration, it hasn't run more than 7000 km (4300 miles). I think she needs to see her home country this summer... ;)

I'm going to start a new topic about our upcoming event on the 12th of April. We will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Clio, as well as the 30th anniversary of our beloved GT Turbo! :D More information will follow...