Author Topic: new here ( r5 campus )  (Read 3518 times)

olie_r5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
new here ( r5 campus )
« on: 23:04, Mon 23 November 2009 »
hi, im olie, 19 years old from kent
proud owner of a renault 5 campus 1.4 1995 ( non turbo )
bought the car for 250 off an old lady with 20k on the clock so think i picked up a bit of a bargain.
Currently in the middle of doing it up and wondered whether anyone knows any resonably priced sites to buy a gt turbo standard bodykit?
my mods so far consist of:
pipercross induction
peco big bore 2 exhaust
gt 15" alloys with (195/45) tyres
front light masks and rear tinted lights

if you could help me locate a standard gt turbo bodykit it would be much appriciated!
cheers  :mrgreen:

rover twin cam power \";)\"

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: new here ( r5 campus )
« Reply #1 on: 12:02, Tue 24 November 2009 »
Hi, welcome to the site. Before you put the turbo kit on it you've gotta lower it! Definitely do it that way round. CGB sell loads of bodykit bits but you'll probably get a cheaper deal on ebay TBH. :D

olie_r5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18:31, Tue 24 November 2009 »
hi mate, yee definantly, going for 50mm front springs  but lowering front down 30mm and isnt the torsion bar self adjustible on these to lower the back end down? full standard gt turbo kits are fairly expensive aint they? Might have to check the local scrap to see if they have any

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18:44, Tue 24 November 2009 »
You might find a set of standard GT turbo struts fairly cheaply. I paid 240 for 4 Koni shocks and 80 for a pair of lowered springs quite a few years ago but prices probably haven't changed much now.
For your torsion bar you need to buy or make a slide hammer to pull the bars out and move the arms up a couple of splines. Don't forget to mark their position before doing this though!
Some people say you need to do allsorts of measuring between the arms and the wheel arch for an even drop but I never did and I lowered mine evenly both sides.  8)

olie_r5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18:51, Tue 24 November 2009 »
ahhh right didnt realise there was a lot to it to be honest lol There are 50mm lowering springs on ktec for 63.25 but can i use my standard shocks or will i need to use performance ones like gaz slamshocks? just wondering whether they will withstand it or not

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18:59, Tue 24 November 2009 »
You really need a set of gas adjustables as they're stiffer. Also they're shorter, otherwise when you jack your car up you'll have to relocate the springs every time you drop it down again!

olie_r5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19:14, Tue 24 November 2009 »
ahhh i see good point, no point going standard shocks then cos im usually always under the car, have a couple of rust problems that im sorting out and a nice hole in the down pipe. cheers for your help mate! Where about from kent you from anyways?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19:52, Tue 24 November 2009 »
NP I'm in sittingbourne

olie_r5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19:58, Tue 24 November 2009 »
ohh rightt, im from hythe lol dno whether there any r5 meet ups down our way or whether its a case of traveling.
 Also ive heard bb performance tuning is a good site to get some bits but i cant get onto the website for some reason, do you know whether theve changed there url?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20:39, Tue 24 November 2009 »
There's a few 5 turbo owners in Folkstone and a couple or more are on here. Don't know about any meetings happening though? I think it'll be quite some time before I turn up at one actually in a 5!
Regards BB Tuning, they're excellent reputable tuners but I think their site must be down or something. Maybe try phoning them? :D

olie_r5

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21:47, Tue 24 November 2009 »
really? shows how much i pay attention haha i havent seen one modified 5 in kent before! only a standard one outside the town in folkestone tht an old man drives. Yeee sounds like a good idea mate, give me a msg when u finnish it and were try and arrange something. Im an auto electrician so im good with electrics but struggle at times with engine work lol just need to build my knowledge on that side LOL