Author Topic: camber problem  (Read 2582 times)

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: camber problem
« Reply #15 on: 18:10, Tue 20 October 2009 »
Well the camber was chronic when I first lowered it because I used the standard topmounts where the strut top sticks through the hole in the inner wing like on the PH 1's. I cured it by fitting phase 2 turbo topmounts which raised the front end by 30mm and sorted the camber at the same time.
It was knackering the insides of my front tyres before but it looked wicked! 8)  I was running 165/65/13s on GTX alloys and the top of the tyre was about 15mm under the arch. The driveshafts were sitting at such an acute angle that the n/s was getting smashed up in the diff! I can never work out how people run their 5's so low as my subframe was 3 inches from the road when the car was together and that was with approx 1" arch gap and running 195/45/15s. It's still got the gouges in the bottom of it now!

small_all@hotmail.com

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19:23, Tue 20 October 2009 »
killer, i had problems getting the jack out from underneath the caar, i had to get 2 boys (1 each arch) to lift the car, and theres still a good few cm's to go, wouldent wanna go to low befor i can replace the back end torsion bars, the car dose look nice and even now, instead of beeing jackd up at the front
My cars only as fast as the people pushing it

chillin... chillin....... chillin.........boooOOOOOOST

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19:46, Tue 20 October 2009 »
I can't get a trolley jack under the front of mine. I have to use one trolley jack at the rear of the car to get enough clearance on the front.

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19:54, Tue 20 October 2009 »
I lower the car down with lumps of 4x2 under the wheels to give extra clearance! :)

Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
I can't get a trolley jack under the front of mine. I have to use one trolley jack at the rear of the car to get enough clearance on the front.
So speedhumps definitely out of the question for you then?!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20:02, Tue 20 October 2009 »
The exhaust 'U' bracket in the centre scrubs sometimes, it's worn down a bit now so doesn't do it as much.

It doesn't look that low, but i'm comparing it to the neighbours slammed Polo. I suppose the original alloys don't help with clearance either.

small_all@hotmail.com

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08:11, Wed 21 October 2009 »
The exhaust 'you' bracket in the centre scrubs sometimes, it's worn down a bit now so doesn't do it as much.

It doesn't look that low, but i'm comparing it to the neighbours slammed Polo. I suppose the original alloys don't help with clearance either.

u got the little 13" speedlines??

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08:20, Wed 21 October 2009 »
Yes i have the original wheels fitted.

Spin-tastic!  :mrgreen:

small_all@hotmail.com

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09:05, Wed 21 October 2009 »
Yes i have the original wheels fitted.

Spin-tastic!  :mrgreen:

might sound silly, but do u use much more fuel on little wheels??

danboi2

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10:03, Wed 21 October 2009 »
I use my dumbell weights under the back  wheel when I need to jack the rear end up gives it that extra clearance to get the jack under

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23:32, Wed 21 October 2009 »
might sound silly, but do you use much more fuel on little wheels??

Not entirely sure.. obviously you'll pick up faster with them but you'll need to plant it harder to get the same top speed I suppose due to the smaller rolling diameter, so could use more fuel maybe..?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23:37, Wed 21 October 2009 »
lol Oops... Ash-Lee didn't originally write that did he! That's the trouble with forums - you can make anyone look like they wrote anything! :oops:  :lol:  :lol:  :!:

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02:57, Thu 22 October 2009 »
Not sure to be honest, when you fit larger wheels you tend to fit a lower profile tyre, so the actual rolling diameter isn't going to be that big a difference to have any impact.

I think.....  :?

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18:44, Thu 22 October 2009 »
You can do the plus 1, plus 2, plus 3 etc etc.. thing which means going up by an inch at a time from the standard rim diameter.  Most people ditch their 13's and go straight for 15s but even with 195-45's the rolling diameter will be bigger though probably not by enough to make a noticeable difference.
Try laying a 15 or 16" alloy in the centre of a 195-55-13 to see how small the profile would need to be to maintain the same rolling diamter!

Rob@BYR

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20:06, Fri 23 October 2009 »
You can just elongate your strut bolt hole (top of the two of course) to make adjustable camber and save your money for beers.. dont forget chamber changes will effect toe...