Author Topic: Cutting out ..missfire ...allsorts  (Read 1788 times)

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Cutting out ..missfire ...allsorts
« on: 20:59, Sun 04 October 2009 »
Hi folks  

Got a few problems with my clio gtt ..i will list lol

1. Anytime i come to a junction ...it cuts out ..the engine stalls
2. When first started it struggles to idle.
3. It has a missfire about 2krevs ..the car starts kangaroo'ing.

Ive spoke to the rtoc chairman ..he wants me to take it to his which is a good 30mins away as he has no car. But i dont want to drive it as it frustrates the fook outa me lol. He told me to wind the mixture screw all the way in ..then turn it back 3 turns which i did ...then started it up ...it idled ..but then started missfiring ever so slightly. He then told me to turn the idle speed screw untill its sat at 1k revs ..which resulted in it getting worse... after fannying about i decided to clean the idle jet out ...put it back in ..and hey presto ...it started and idled fine..i didnt go drive it after tho.

Then... i went out a few days later to take it a run it started up ..and at idle the revs started hunting untill it cut out(done this a few times) ...i tried adjusting the idle speed to sort it ..but it made it worse. I then decided it might of been cold ..so i took it a wee drive ...then i came to a junction it cut out ..before it cut out it banged and popped from the exhaust which i recon is normal.

Sorry for the essay folks ..but im getting to the point where im just wanting rid of the bugger now ....please help me out folks. I just want a car where i can just go out and drive/go a country road play in.

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:16, Sun 04 October 2009 »
u will more likely have a common air leak . places to look to start off with

vaccum hoses
boost pipes
carb base for a gap, very common
crack in the carb itself

see what u get from them, most common places and this is a common 1 that most ppl have wi there 5s. i had this prob wi it cutting out. was a crackd carb itself.

markey mark (bd)

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22:51, Sun 04 October 2009 »
Have you ran the car low on fuel recently, possibly sucked up dirt from the tank and its now making its way to the carb. If you cleaned out the idle jet and it was fine then doing it again sounds like dirt again in the carb. Might be worh giving the carb a good clean out and replacing the fuel filter if it not been done already

Have a check for air leaks as mentioned but only place that would affect it would be below the vacumm point of the carb, above that it wiuld run normnal be like having no boost pipe on or air filter on normal car.
BD Autosport - Renault 5 gt turbo tuning and repairs.

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 23:12, Sun 04 October 2009 »
Quote from: "markey mark (bd)"
Have a check for air leaks as mentioned but only place that would affect it would be below the vacumm point of the carb, above that it wiuld run normnal be like having no boost pipe on or air filter on normal car.

i would say thats the only place markey mark as i had this problem where i come to standstills and my car cut off, i had to try keep up revs up, mine was a carb crack in the top part. common place is carb base often get a gap there, all u need to do is take it off and get some gasket sealant and apply that on and let it set around the gaskets tehre already like i did when i put my new 1 on

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:25, Mon 05 October 2009 »
Ok folks ...sorry for the late reply ...was working today and stripping down a 5gtt which was delt in with the scrapage scheme :( ... I will have a look at the carb ...ive got a spare which i might just slap on ..see if its ok :)

jayy.cfg

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21:40, Mon 05 October 2009 »
this scrappage scheme ive seen a few 5s go thru this, bad for them, good for us 5 lovers.

when u do the change over get some gasket sealant for the base of the carb and apply some there will provent any future gabs for now there incase that is the problem.

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 21:40, Mon 05 October 2009 »
And mark ..your right ..i did run the car very low on fuel ..due to me not being able to afford to drive the bugger at one point ..so it was running on fumes haha ....a full service is on the cards ..fuel filter being in it aswell :D

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 20:56, Sat 17 October 2009 »
well i still havent sorted this haha.

been doing some reading on rtoc and thought it could be due to my breather system mods (as i didnt blank the manifold vaccum bit ..i just got a hose ..cut it and put a bolt in with a jubilee clip lol .....so gunna return it to standard and try it lol

On the cards for my clio is a carb overhall/service and a full service when i get payed in 2weeks ..then i can use it for the times i want to go some country road blasts ..aka sunday driving :)