Author Topic: F7-5 1.8 16v Campus, attempt lol  (Read 10201 times)

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
F7-5 1.8 16v Campus, attempt lol
« on: 21:48, Tue 22 September 2009 »
I have a Clio aswell (hence the nick name) but my daily runner is a 1994 Campus 1400. I've bought a clio 16v donar car and i'm going to give it ago. The story....

Wanted to do this for awhile and thought bollocks to it and so i've officially started the Renault F7-5 (is the code name for the project). I've picked up the donar car which was used as a track day hack, used a few times and then left abandoned in his garden for a year. Engine cylinder block sounds superb, no crank bearing clearance issues or knocking knock when cold, although it does tap which is to be expected if the car has been literally sat in a garden for a year. The plan was to check the cam belt, guide & tensioner bearing and for the sake of 20 possibly fit a new water pump even though it's aux belt driven. I am half tempted to fit a set of williams camshafts to it along side a set of new hydraulic lifters aswell although performance wont be drastically altered as iirc the williams cam spec is only 1* longer than that of the 1.8 cam profile. Given this fact though I guess every little helps. So anyway, here's the donar car which did have a full interior (minus the center air vent which has a push start pad)...

The Clio is wider than the 5 & given it's wider arch's & wider suspension track over a stock Clio, it give's the car a more 'planted' stance on the road. I've not known anyone to fit Clio suspension to the Renault 5 due to the top strut mounts being different BUT I will try and fit the top strut mount from the 5 onto the Clio strut and see what the geometry is like after in respect to camber and toe angle given the track-rod ends will have to be wound out to make up for it's extra track. I will also be running Clio lower arm's, driveshafts and anti-roll bar if it all works out ok aswell obviously. I think the rear beam is out of the question, i'm worried that the wheels will stick out a yard on the back if I do fit it and the 16v rear beam has brake disc's, which are imo OTT and unrequired. What are you thought's lads as I've not heard too much about the n/a conversions or messing with anything other than the GTT suspension? Any tips would be very welcome and i'm considering running the Clio interior loom

...The car in question..

It's since been fitted with what seem to be rather rare 14" optional extra Clio alloy's which seem to go with it's retro box type appeal (got them off a scrap car ;)) Tyre spec on the previous wheels were 145/70/13, new tyres 165/60/14 and in effect, feels slightly less floaty as a result of reduced tyre wall compliance
Naturally Aspirated at heart!

mikebrfc

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17:33, Wed 23 September 2009 »
i think the clio williams suspension goes on the 5 o.k. i.e. whishbones, hubs, driveshafts and the coilovers line up, not sure how well but i'm planning on doing that myself. The rear might be o.k if you use the turbo arches, not sure how wide the clio 16v axil is, but if your not going to use the clio axil give me a shout ;) lol Good luck with the project anyway
keep the machinery between the greenery

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17:24, Thu 24 September 2009 »
This sounds like a fun little project 8)
Keep us updated man.

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 20:59, Sat 26 September 2009 »
Done abit more to the 5. Tried to fit the clio fuel pump into the 5 tank, but obviously this was an epic fail given the sender is located under the rear seats and it uses an externally mounted pump. So, removed the fuel tank from the Clio and couldn't believe how almost identical they were! I thought i'd have to mount it by welding additional mounting points/captive nuts in, truly excellent! The fuel tank breathers were abit of a pain and the fact the fuel lines ran slightly different on the Clio mean't having to modify some of the pipework. Also fitted the rear wiring loom

How it use to look...

Will continue work shortly :P

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 23:17, Mon 28 September 2009 »
Little update...Removed the dash board and err that's never going back in, what a stupid design! :roll: Anyway, got everything required out the way and here's the score currently..

Cutting holes in the bulkhead for the wiring loom to pass through using the Clio grommet's

Fitted the Clio motor to the wiper assembly as the current 5 motor was a 2 step motor with no intermittent. Also makes installation in regards to the wiring loom an easy swap if this works ok, although it's a trial and error attempt.

Fitting of the frontal loom

Using original grommets for other auxilieries such as the heater blower motor which maybe an issue to wire up

The heater blower motor wires to tackle currently

and finally, the 5 speedo cable which was siezed in the gearbox as normal, need a wheel speed sensor readout cable from the Clio anyway ideally so no big issue there

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 00:04, Tue 29 September 2009 »
nice looking project, by any chance are you from bristol?

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 00:06, Tue 29 September 2009 »
Yes, well I work In Bristol (Longwell Green). Have you seen the car about? lol

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 00:46, Tue 29 September 2009 »
yeah lol thought id seen that reg before. you was up outfit with a clio one night.

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 18:37, Tue 29 September 2009 »
ah, the Clio's the real sleeper :)

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
Re: F7-5 1.8 16v Campus, attempt lol
« Reply #9 on: 00:03, Mon 19 October 2009 »
A rather productive weekend really. Lashed the engine in after abit of a ball ache, didn't think it was going to fit. Huge cup of tea, some more hassle, a few more fags, Andy watching and giving us abusive language, Neil with his drill and abit of Kiss FM delivered the following....

hmmm, any room for a cooling fan?

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 00:02, Mon 26 October 2009 »
coming along nicely cant wait to see it on the road :P
do you know what engines in that red clio i seen you with? cheers

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18:02, Wed 28 October 2009 »
Billboi, that red clio has an F7P, low comp steel block, worked head with aftermarket cams, GT28 turbo from what I can remember. My clio's the blue one although it's far from being a forced induction setup. Push and pray isn't my way :lol:

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18:17, Wed 28 October 2009 »
Back onto the 5. Spent some time thinking about the cooling fan situation, fitted the battery in the boot and finished off most of the wiring. Just need to fit the dash, weld some captive earths in, fit a washer bottle, mount external fuse box, fit the Clio steering column. Wanted to keep the car as stealth as possible for the sleeper appeal that I love in my Clio so had to mount the fan to the bumper and make stronger bumper supports. Was abit of a job but it's all linked up. Must admit, I tested it and although there is air flow through the rad,  I am a little worried it's not going to be sufficient but this isn't a drastic issue. A few pictures...

billyboi

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15:23, Thu 29 October 2009 »
ahh thats why its such a animal lol. i think i may have seen a blue clio before not sure though (memory like a goldfish lol) are you gonna leave the 5 looking standard or have you got plans for the bodywork?

cliolord

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19:45, Thu 29 October 2009 »
How you see it is how it looks :D I'm going to weld the Clio exhaust to the stock 5 downswept rear exhaust box. It will look the same as every other Campus except for the Wheel trim looking alloys that I've fitted to it. I like to blend into the back ground and destroy them, not be harrased by the police and have the advantage of driving like a granny when and if I want to without being harrased by other road users. Dual carrageway traffic lights etc should be quite funny. The Sleeper Thrills...If i'm not happy with the way it performs, I may modify the engine or fit the F7R to it but i'll see how it goes