Author Topic: Air corrector jet and boost settings.  (Read 4937 times)

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Air corrector jet and boost settings.
« on: 17:50, Wed 02 September 2009 »
Does anyone know the workings of the solex 32 dis carb?

I just came across a 1mm a/c jet and wondered what sort of effect this would have if I fitted it instead of the standard 1.25 jet, basically with the wealth of knowledge between you guys what I want to know is if I fit the smaller a/c jet is there a safe level I can turn the boost up by?

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18:06, Wed 02 September 2009 »
atm ive got standard carb carb apart from a .9 a/c an it fuels fine at 14psi carb base but it runs rich slightly under normal driving conditions.
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18:50, Wed 02 September 2009 »

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 19:19, Wed 02 September 2009 »
Quote from: "owe"
atm ive got standard carb carb apart from a .9 a/c an it fuels fine at 14psi carb base but it runs rich slightly under normal driving conditions.

Just drive on boost all the time then. :-)

So with the standard boost gauge connected to the carb top it would show about 1/3 of the way in to the red "danger" part of the gauge?

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 20:02, Wed 02 September 2009 »
For OE Boost gauge readings see the attached link

http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3510

In addition o Steve's fecking awesome how to guide this is a basic version.

Ok here is a quick guide to what jets to modify:

Needle jet - this can be increased in an attempt to stop the carb fuel bowl from emptying normally when running higher boost than standard (Dependant on setup) and normally only required when a high lift cam is in use that allows higher rpm's.

The 1st stage (the removable screw in jet that is inside the triangle enricher section) is only 1mm - if this has been increased then it'll get too rich when you give it alot of throttle, before boost comes on. Some tuners used to swap this jet around with the a/c! cheap skates, it made the fuel curve bloody horrible.

The 2nd stage only comes alive after a few psi of positive boost (This is where jetting is required).

Normal driving is a real pig, that NEEDS a smaller main jet (so stay standard as long as you can)!

The air corrector does't make a huge difference at normal driving rpm's, it has more effect on boost and higher up the range (Normally reduced to around .9).

But to be accurate in the setting up of a carb I can't stress enough how a widenabd AFR reader is required.

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 22:49, Wed 02 September 2009 »
I'm getting an AFR gauge soon, it's on my list of things to get!

But what would be a best guess for the size to drill out my second stage enrichener. I want to run 16psi carb top.

If I stick with the 1mm air corrector, standard 1.2mm main and drill the second stage to 1.2mm would I be theoretically fueling enough?

I understand all cars can be different and that it could be bad if it underfuels but I just want a good idea what might be needed.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 22:54, Wed 02 September 2009 »
Quote from: "penfold1981"
I'm getting an AFR gauge soon, it's on my list of things to get!

But what would be a best guess for the size to drill out my second stage enrichener. I want to run 16psi carb top.

If I stick with the 1mm air corrector, standard 1.2mm main and drill the second stage to 1.2mm would I be theoretically fueling enough?

I understand all cars can be different and that it could be bad if it underfuels but I just want a good idea what might be needed.

When i ran 16 psi carb top i found the standard carb wasn't far from fuelling ok for that pressure. I dropped the A/C down to 100 to be on the safe side.

BUT...every car is different.

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23:05, Wed 02 September 2009 »
16psi carb top would be about half way through the red part of the standard gauge? Maybe a little less to be safe-ish :-)

If it goes pop at least it will be fun until then. maybe just drill the second stage out to 1.1mm then.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 08:11, Thu 03 September 2009 »
Leave the 2nd for now, just try a smaller a/c & run 14 psi till you get a wideband controller or at least check it on the RR....

penfold1981

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 17:12, Thu 03 September 2009 »
14psi carb top? Drove it today with it boosting to the beginning of the red section on the gauge and it feels fast enough for now.

It's just that I'm impatient for more power but I suppose an engine rebuild is a big price to pay.

Roll on pay day and a STACK AFR gauge :-)

James5

• Test
  • Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 22:32, Thu 03 September 2009 »
Just make sure what ever wideband kit you get that it is actually a wideband kit and not a shitty narrowband piece of shite.

Go with something people have used Innovate Lm-1, Zeitronix, AEM Uego for example