Author Topic: New Member  (Read 2455 times)

milesy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
« on: 12:51, Sun 30 August 2009 »
Hi guys

I am new to this and wanting to start a Renault 5 GT turbo project.

Please can anyone give me advice where I can find a good car to start. doesnt have to be a runner or in good condition.

If so please let me know. Any advice is much apperciated and i look forward to hearing you and all your adivce soon!

Milesy

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22:32, Sun 30 August 2009 »
Hi and welcome to the site.
 My advice would be to to just keep checking all the usual places - ebay, pistonheads etc.. There's always at least about 15 GTT's on ebay ranging from 4K+ minters down to 300 scrappers for spares or repair. One's bound to turn up near you sooner or later, unless you have a trailer? Possibly try your local scrappy although more people break them theirselves these days, failing that there's usually a few going on here!  :D

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 23:42, Sun 30 August 2009 »
I can only Echo whats been said above , But hi and welcome to Renault5gtturbo I hope we can offer you as much support and help as needed

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 08:31, Mon 31 August 2009 »
Just try not to get a rot box or you'll be forever chasing tinworm around the car....
Most have some rust but some are just really not worth the bother...inless you plan a real restoration job.. like over a year or so.lol.

milesy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
thanks guys
« Reply #4 on: 18:54, Mon 31 August 2009 »
Thanks for all your quick replies guys really appriciated. I will keep looking at this site and as suggested ebay and what not. My plan is to get it running as much bhp poss. Will look into what can and cant be done, so any help that any of you guys can give will be grately received.

Craig

milesy

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Question
« Reply #5 on: 19:31, Mon 31 August 2009 »
Hi Guys

I have just seen on an add a r5gtt with a volvo engine in it.
1, what volvo engine is it
2, or would it be best to stick to original engine and beef it up.

Thanks

5-Mission

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 22:23, Wed 02 September 2009 »
It's most likely a 440 or 480 turbo.  Basically a turbocharged 1721cc F2N. They can be tuned but parts are much less readily available than the C1J and they only started with an extra 5bhp anyway.
I know you can get uprated cams, but I reckon you'd spend about the same getting the volvo lump to 150brake as you would the C1J to 200, that said the volvo lumps are invariably more reliable - if you tune the C1J to that level and drive it hard a lot chances are you'll be fixing it quite often!