Author Topic: Same car, different engine.  (Read 1202 times)

Tom@SimplyAutomotive

• Trusted Trader
  • 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Same car, different engine.
« on: 09:10, Mon 18 May 2009 »
If i change the engine in my car to a completely different one then do i have to notify anyone? dvla, insurance???

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 10:13, Mon 18 May 2009 »
hey fellah , how you been? depends what engine c1j for c1j personaly i wouldn't  bother , how ever if your a cautious person then both dvla and insurance partys have to be noted. but i rang flux to explain my speedo had to be changed n well they made my life difficult to think i was only being honest lol probably the only person to admit to changing the speedo lol ,thing is god forbid you never have an accident , but insurane companys examine all engine numbers vins etc etc so if they find a different engine number suddenly your insurance is now VOID and its going to be at your exspence

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 10:15, Mon 18 May 2009 »
Yes, at the very least the ins. company, you should really notify DVLA as well.

r5gttraider

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 12:37, Mon 18 May 2009 »
i would say yes change it, it only takes vosa police(yes unlikly) but if they check ya vin and engine number agaisnt current records they would fine you 1k for not notifiging dvla, i know this becasue a mate of mine done  engine swap, not only did his insurance become null void he got done for it, as the engine wasnt what was on the log book and they even tried for stolen block!! but luckly he had brought it from ebay and could be linked back to a legal car that was broken,
and i dont see why it would matter to insurance so long as its not a rebuild to 200bhp etc
so is it worth it...no in my opinion