Author Topic: so it failed the mot  (Read 3683 times)

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: 10:23, Tue 19 May 2009 »
forgot to say when you had the piston pressed back and you put the pads in,did you pump the pedal right out until it went solid and then check the handbrake and make any adjustments on the cable cause again if you done it the other way you adjusted the cable before pumping pads right out you handbrake would be naff!!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #16 on: 11:36, Tue 19 May 2009 »
As far as i'm aware the handbrake is seperate to the hydraulic side.

I'm sure it's just a cable operated lever that pushes the pad against the disc, the brake lines shouldn't affect it.

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: 12:50, Tue 19 May 2009 »
i slackened the cable off from underneath took the pads out and pumped the brake till the piston was on then wound it back in refitted the pads tightened the cable back up acordingly and still no joy
Go Boost Or Go Home

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #18 on: 10:38, Wed 20 May 2009 »
sorry bud looks like you will need a new caliper bud sorry.........

the handbrake lever goes into a small rubber boot at the rear of the caliper if you remove that boot you will see the mechanism that the lever works, this in turn works the piston thats used for your footbrake into your hand brake,now to reset this mechanism you wind back the piston fully and then pump the pedal out which should reset this mechanism and give you a good handbrake but if any of these parts are seized,faulty or worn your handbrake will never be right

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: 10:45, Wed 20 May 2009 »
also danileson youve never mentioned if your handbrake cables are stretched either,these calipers will only adjust so far then you take the slack up of the handbrake lever with the cables if there stretched you aint gonna get a nice handbrake a good handbrake should have around 3 to 4 clicks :wink:

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #20 on: 10:46, Wed 20 May 2009 »
well the handbrake part fell apart when i took the boot off the back yesterday so it does looks like a new caliper
Go Boost Or Go Home

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: 10:54, Wed 20 May 2009 »
sorry to hear that bud must have been all broken up in there was it ?
what side did you say this caliper was?
i just bought 2 second hand ones off ebay and did my n/s brake so got a spare o/s caliper if you need it bud !!!!

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: 11:05, Wed 20 May 2009 »
yea loads of little bits snaped off somthink
i need drivers side mate (offside)
Go Boost Or Go Home