Author Topic: so it failed the mot  (Read 3696 times)

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
so it failed the mot
« on: 15:28, Fri 15 May 2009 »
not happy today at all  :(

got a few advisorys but thats nothink

but it failed on front sidelights not working on tick over there really dim but when you rev it they get brighter what could cause this ...?

centre exhaust has a mouting that doesnt fully support the exhaust system
i have a full stainless
what could i do about this ??n

and the parking brake offside efficiently below requirements the pads and discs are spot on what else could this be the tester said maybe servo ...is there anyway to adjust this without doing the cable..?
Go Boost Or Go Home

cavsri130

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 15:40, Fri 15 May 2009 »
not sure how to sort the light thing, sounds like a alternator problem but that would affect all your lights? try new bulbs

the exhaust thing, if there is a hanger on the exhaust newt to a hanger on the car it must have a rubber but if there isnt a hanger on the exhaust then it shouldnt fail and i wouldnt fail it being a tester

how can the servo affect the handbrake??  make sure the cable, pads and slides are free. and make sure the hand brake lever is back on its stop, piston fully out before adjusting the cable
IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT!

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 15:46, Fri 15 May 2009 »
well it has a bracket but thats on the back box now i can see what they mean because it comes straight from manifold back to the box with no bracket just the back box has a braket

i adjusted the cable yesterday thinking that would solve the problem but oviasly not it works on the near side just not the off side the pads are good and the disc's

ill try new side light bulbs see if that sorts it
what do you surjest for the rear brakes mate
Go Boost Or Go Home

Brigsy

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 16:20, Fri 15 May 2009 »
The rear caliper might be seized on the side that wont pass.

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 19:44, Fri 15 May 2009 »
Quote from: "DanielSon-gtt"
well it has a bracket but thats on the back box now i can see what they mean because it comes straight from manifold back to the box with no bracket just the back box has a braket

im pretty sure mines like that aswell, is there a bracket on the car but not on the exhaust?
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 19:48, Fri 15 May 2009 »
ahh just bin out an looked an there is one before it bends over the axle
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

antj2k9

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 20:21, Fri 15 May 2009 »
got a rear ciliper if you need one mate
what goes around comes around

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23:39, Fri 15 May 2009 »
nobody got any idears about the rear brake..?
Go Boost Or Go Home

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 23:53, Fri 15 May 2009 »
With the handbrake off is one side slacker then the other on the caliper? Maybe one of the cables has stretched a little. The ends should just touch the arm on the caliper.

Or it could be starting to seize up, try working it a little by hand and see if that loosens it up.

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 00:15, Sat 16 May 2009 »
i havnt had a chance to get under it and have a look yet as i got it back from the centre and it was raining
if its just a slack cable on one side how would i tighten the one side up
Go Boost Or Go Home

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 01:16, Sat 16 May 2009 »
You can't tighten just one side up, i suppose you could fashion something with some spacers but to be honest it it's already stretched or damaged in someway then your better off replacing it.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 04:23, Sat 16 May 2009 »
hey mate,make sure the handbrake lever is fully back and it moves freely,also make sure the caliper isnt binding,if there both ok remove pads and wind back your piston,then get some one to pump it out basically do this  a few times use wd40 on the piston if its sticky until the piston pumps out freely wind it back in and refit your pads making sure there free in the slides pump your pedal until pads are out against the disc and then try your handbrake you may have to adjust accordinly,if you have to wind up the cable a lot i would recomend replacing the handbrake cables :wink: hope this helps mate

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 22:47, Sat 16 May 2009 »
thanks for that mate ill have a look tomoro
great description
Go Boost Or Go Home

DanielSon-gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 22:54, Mon 18 May 2009 »
so slackend the cable off took the pads off and pumped the piston a few times its free and not ceased up so i put the pads back in tightend it all up and so forth tentioned the cable and its still wont pass on the rolling brake thing at the centre i cant see whats not happening do i have to do anythink with the piston type thing that the rear piplines come from :?
Go Boost Or Go Home

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 10:14, Tue 19 May 2009 »
is the foot brake working alright at that side? did you check if the handbrake lever is fully back if not and youve horsed the cable up you aint gonna get a handbrake,did you have to adjust a lot on the cable?its possible there could be a problem with the handbrake side of things inside the caliper,if thats the case just replace the caliper bud im afraid,but check that lever first !!!