Author Topic: can a 5 do a 60 mile trip daily!!??  (Read 2023 times)

ains

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
can a 5 do a 60 mile trip daily!!??
« on: 15:32, Fri 08 May 2009 »
the misus needs the other car so im gonna have to use the 5 to go to work. she thinks theres no way it will drive that far without breaking down lol. she thinks i should sell it, but i really dont want to do that!!
can a 5 gt turbo cope with going 30miles then back dailly.

advice plz as i may be forced to sell my little cherub lol!!

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 16:29, Fri 08 May 2009 »
Have you had many problems with it before? What does it run like?

If it's looked after / you keep on top of any problems it may have then yeh, it will cop fine.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 20:07, Fri 08 May 2009 »
with out being rude , 'no direction intended' , as long as the owner of a 5 does things properly and regular services and checks over every thing then Well Hell yeah, you just have to be that little more hmm erm lets see , OCD with your checks ,

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 01:06, Sat 09 May 2009 »
My 5 just eats up the miles, especially on the motorway.

Just keep on top of the maintanence. Oh, and take out breakdown cover just incase! :D

gjb0535

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 09:03, Sat 09 May 2009 »
On the motorway yes.

In the spring and summer months I use mine daily and can do 400 miles in a week easy.Just keep on top of it and check levels, tyres etc frequently.

If you use high boost then perhaps turn it down a bit for cruising at 60-70mph. It aint needed and you will save some fuel.

NaylsGTT

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 09:52, Sat 09 May 2009 »
Why do people think 5's cant travel regularly???

i'd take mine on a 1000 mile round trip if i needed to go somewhere!!

There only unreliable if you run stupid boost through a standard carb!

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 19:12, Sat 09 May 2009 »
Quote from: "gjb0535"
you will save some fuel.

No you won't.. the carb will be set up for a set amount of boost, and will fuel to the same amount whatever the boost is set at, so if you turn the boost down too much, you will just be running rich. But yeh.. if you're running mad boost, and are potentially right on the edge of how much boost you can run without leaning out the mixture, I'd maybe turn it down a little as a safeguard. Plus, it's not a bad thing if you're running a little rich, as it cool the combustion chamber

antj2k9

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23:12, Sat 09 May 2009 »
i done 750 miles last week across france in about 11hours in my 5 and she loved it i was worryed about it over heating ect but it did just eat the miles up, it was a redhot day to but the temp never budged over 1/4 as already said aslong as you look after them they are relibale little cars dont know why everyone just knows them for blowing up lol think its just a renault thing there all known for overheating/blowing gaskets
what goes around comes around