Author Topic: Hi  (Read 3027 times)

alex_a

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
Hi
« on: 16:30, Sat 25 April 2009 »
Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum. I'm looking into buying an R5 GT Turbo so I thought this would be the best place to start. I read the buying guide, (thanks to whoever wrote it), can anyone else expand on it, I've heard that they can be unreliable and even a bit of a nightmare if thing go wrong? I'm not a mechanic so will have to get somebody else to fix anything that goes belly up, but hopefully with a bit of info I can avoid the dogs and get a decent one.

Anyway, I look forward to testing as many cars out as possible, see you lot around the forum.

Alex.

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 09:13, Mon 27 April 2009 »
hi mate and welcome to the forum  :wink:

these cars are only unreliable when they arent looked after propearly or wrongly modified (i.e standard engine running say about 25psi boost pressure from the previous boy racer owner lol) but if it is all done propearly then i cant see any problems i used mine as a daily runner for 6 months solid and the only thing that broke was the starter motor (which cost a mere 23 to fix)

they are really good little cars and they are very reliable in my opinion
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 09:19, Mon 27 April 2009 »
wot uve got to remember is that most of them are around 20 years old now, so u got expect a few things to go wrong
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

davesgtt,s

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 09:25, Mon 27 April 2009 »
i agree mate,only probloms iv ever had with the 5 is split hoses and 1 headgasket fault.not bad fior saying iv had 20 of them on the road and 17 of them never had a fault at all.
they are verry reliable cars if looked after and tuned rite as r5gtt08 said.
i know its not realy what you want to be doing on the first day that you get your 5 but i allways give them an oil change and a set of new plugs and leads as soon as i get it home,allso have a look round the engine bay and make sure all the hoses are in there clips and that they are not about to split.

anyway mate hope you find one in good nick,depending on what you want to pay someone on here is selling a mint grey 1 for 2.500.
if i had the money it would be on my drive.

good luck mate and welcome to the site.

alex_a

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 17:52, Mon 27 April 2009 »
Thanks for all the replies. Very happy to know that they are fact pretty reliable, seems to make all the more sense getting one. The car I'm selling is 1990, so much the same age, I'm used to classics, never driven anything else, so I expect that they will need the odd fettle and a bit more looking after than a saxo or whatever.

Dave

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 11:10, Sun 03 May 2009 »
These cars are the nuts mate. i use mine every day with out any probs :D

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 14:15, Sun 03 May 2009 »
Welcome,