Author Topic: headgasket  (Read 1448 times)

davesgtt,s

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
headgasket
« on: 17:11, Tue 07 April 2009 »
hi all,just brought a 5 with headgasket probloms,iv built loads of 5s but i allway send the engine off for bebuild rather than do it myself.anyway the 5 has been sat for 5 years with no head on it so all the liners were exposed to whatever for 5 years but can i just give the pistons a clean and then refit the head back on or do you you think its guna need a full rebuild.
please let me know
thanks

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 17:34, Tue 07 April 2009 »
I'd get the sump off and change the piston rings, . and check the bearings incase water has run down the oil ways and rusted up down there.

davesgtt,s

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 18:00, Tue 07 April 2009 »
yeah thats what i thought but its best to get a second opinion.its been in a garage since it was taken off the road so i dont think any water will have damaged owt.

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 18:39, Tue 07 April 2009 »
I would think the liners may be FUBAR.... what do they look like ?

davesgtt,s

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 19:12, Tue 07 April 2009 »
they look ok.

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 20:12, Tue 07 April 2009 »
If theres no surface rust on the liners they might be ok.

I would lightly oil them, smear a bit of engine oil or you can get a can of Wurth spray oil which is what i use at work and turn the engine by hand to see if it's moves freely without any suspicious noises.

Look for the honing marks, if you can't see any then chances are the liners are quite worn anyway and would benefit from being changed/re-honed.

davesgtt,s

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 20:20, Tue 07 April 2009 »
ill have to have a good look at it in the morning mate,bit dark now.thanks for the advise tho...ill keep u updated on it.

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 23:44, Tue 07 April 2009 »
yeh mate just be carefull,because you could easily crack a piston ring if there seized also make sure you dont pop your liners if your gonna turn the engine :wink: your engine is in bits anyway you might be aswell building it from scratch at least you know what your starting with,instead of having to do the job twice