Author Topic: Kent cams and Gas flowed inlet  (Read 1412 times)

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Kent cams and Gas flowed inlet
« on: 14:51, Tue 31 March 2009 »
Do they actually do anything?
Just missed some on ebay but i dont know what theyre worth.
I dont know if they were worth buying, if that makes sense :D
I know what the cam does but how much of a difference does it make?

Mark

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 15:59, Tue 31 March 2009 »
the better the cam the better the rev range matey

and the gas flowed head will allow you to flow the gasses more smoothly resulting in better throttle responce and a little gain in bhp (but not megga bhp tho) :wink:  :wink:
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 17:22, Tue 31 March 2009 »
You can get good gains from a proper gas flowed head, i say proper when it's been machined properly and tested on a flow bench. This is very time consuming and takes a fair bit of knowledge hence the steep price tags.

People use this term loosely, there is a difference between a gas flowed head and someones attempt at 'porting and polishing' by hacking away at random bits with a dremel, which is likely to make no difference at all.

fishead

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 19:50, Tue 31 March 2009 »
changing the cam will change the engines charecteristics, it is not a case of better cam better rev range. different cams for different requirements. mr renault isnt stupid an did what he did for good reason

i honestly believe head porting can make a lot of difference, and from what i've learnt about it, most of it is done by someone hacking away with a grinder !

though be very, very careful who you choose to do it

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 20:03, Tue 31 March 2009 »
Quote from: "fishead"
changing the cam will change the engines charecteristics, it is not a case of better cam better rev range. different cams for different requirements. mr renault isnt stupid an did what he did for good reason

i honestly believe head porting can make a lot of difference, and from what i've learnt about it, most of it is done by someone hacking away with a grinder !

though be very, very carefull who you choose to do it

yeah i think i worded that wrong lol

what i meant was the different range of cams available for the 5 can help the engine rev better and help the turbo to boost better aswell (if that sounds right lol) :wink:
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!

sparkysparks

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21:28, Tue 31 March 2009 »
ok thanks guys, i think i understand.
When i bought my car i was told port and polished head port and polished inlet. but in not sure tbh. ive not driven the car enthusiastically yet so i dont know if he was telling the truth.
But hes been honest about the rest of the car so far so i have no reason to not believe it.
I ask because one of each just went on ebay for around 50 each, i dont know if they were worth going for.
I guesse theres no point yet until i know what my car can do fully :D