Poll

do you think i can justify modding a raider if i have no intention to ever sell.

yes
13 (86.7%)
no
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: 20:03, Thu 16 April 2009

Author Topic: My renault 5 turbo raider  (Read 2879 times)

leonault5

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
My renault 5 turbo raider
« on: 19:03, Tue 17 March 2009 »
i bought this car last year from the isle of mann its in good condition with about 70,000 miles on the clock and very little wrong with it drove all the way home to crieff about 300miles i think and no mishaps whatsoever. the only hasle i have had with the car is registration and the black plates that the car came with. they were put on in an attempt to replicate the original raiders as seen in adverts and posters and looked absolutely mint but caused alot of trouble with the police in the end i was stopped by 2 volvo t5s who were not pleased that i was driving about in a car that was still registered to the isle of man as the car didnt need to be mot'd there. so the police asked me to mot put uk tax on and register the car back to original brittish plates and let me be on my way. its now back on its uk plates borin white and yellow he he but if it pleases the bobbies eh?
i plan on doin a bit of modifications to the car which some may think is an absolute sin seeing as its a raider but i plan on keeping it till its completely bin worthy so i'm thinkin of making it a road/track car.
its my first turbo i have only had campus' in the past and a gtx but i have been driving it for about 6 months and i love it very very much not dissapointed atall even after all those years thinkin that there was nothing faster on the road he he then finding out that standard they arent actually that fast but wicked fun to drive!!

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 19:09, Tue 17 March 2009 »
Only if you don't chav it up, it's possible to really tastefully mod a car without changing its appearance, check out GTTboost's beaut.

leonault5

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 21:06, Tue 17 March 2009 »
it  def wont be ''chav'' mate only modifying it for performance only thing am doin that can be considered ''stylin'' is black alloys and lowering the car which is mainly for handling but also looks really good!!!!

RS_GTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 21:09, Tue 17 March 2009 »
Standard ftw!

hoolio

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:14, Tue 17 March 2009 »
Hey its your car, what are you plans?

leonault5

• 130BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 21:25, Tue 17 March 2009 »
lowered k and n induction kit standard turbo for mo jus turn up boost to 14psi and set up cup actuator circuit, was thinkin roll cage, black turbine alloys. that about it until a get bored with that

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 21:33, Tue 17 March 2009 »
If it's a MINT example then it seems a shame to mofidy it & turn it into a track car?

However if it's got a few dents & a bit of rust here & there then why not have a play??

As it's been said before though, it's your car & you can do with it what you want?  :D

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 21:39, Tue 17 March 2009 »
Personally, I would say bolt on modifications are fine (which covers the majority of modifications), because they can always be removed / replaced with O.E to make it original again.

It's when people start fiberglassing sideskirts, wings, etc onto the car, and respraying them in kandy flip paint pink with a hint of yellow when they start going wrong. Unless it was a none standard shed to start off with :P

Fidos Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 21:41, Tue 17 March 2009 »
If its total oe make sure you keep all the oe hoses that you've taken off and don't cut anything that you might need if you do put it back to standard. i hope you have fun modding it they bring you such a frill  :D  :D

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 22:36, Wed 18 March 2009 »
yeh mate just suttle mods will do the trick :wink: stay away from chavfords and youll be ok :lol:

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 10:54, Sun 22 March 2009 »
I feel the pain for the guys with OE  5's..  you dont want to alter its originality...  but the temptation is always there.  End of the day, you can change it back like Hoolio is doing, wheels/tyres..  suspension/ride height.   It can all be changed back in one afternoon to OE.   Those things are all you need to change to give the 5 the more sporty handling and appearance.. its all I have done on the outside.  The engine is one area you dont want to go over kill on..  (unless its to get fancy times down the drag strip for 12 seconds...buy an old pooper for that ;) ). I'd look for 180-190bhp for everyday use (if you lighten the car up...it helps too)  mine is 100% reliable... and as much fun as u would want as its not been boosted to blow up every 5 minutes...(I could do that tho if I wanted..but no thanks)  its no fun having the fastest 5 on the planet if it rattles.. drips and blows smokes and needs fixing every month..  keep it tastefull and enjoy your car mate!!  Happy days!  :D

r5gtt08

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 12:46, Sun 22 March 2009 »
Quote from: "GTTboost"
I feel the pain for the guys with OE  5's..  you dont want to alter its originality...  but the temptation is always there.  End of the day, you can change it back like Hoolio is doing, wheels/tyres..  suspension/ride height.   It can all be changed back in one afternoon to OE.   Those things are all you need to change to give the 5 the more sporty handling and appearance.. its all I have done on the outside.  The engine is one area you dont want to go over kill on..  (unless its to get fancy times down the drag strip for 12 seconds...buy an old pooper for that ;) ). I'd look for 180-190bhp for everyday use (if you lighten the car up...it helps too)  mine is 100% reliable... and as much fun as you would want as its not been boosted to blow up every 5 minutes...(I could do that tho if I wanted..but no thanks)  its no fun having the fastest 5 on the planet if it rattles.. drips and blows smokes and needs fixing every month..  keep it tastefull and enjoy your car mate!!  Happy days!  :D

thats probs the best advice your gonna get bud  :wink:

just dont put an aftermarket bodykit on as it will destroy the look of the car :wink:
DONT KNOCK IT TIL YOU TRIED IT!!!!!!!!!

blueredblue2008

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 19:04, Sun 22 March 2009 »
thats sound advice from gttboost mate  :lol:  :lol: