Author Topic: So my R5 caught on fire...  (Read 5008 times)

Midnight_Turbo

  • 150BHP Member
  • **
  • Posts: 49
    • View Profile
So my R5 caught on fire...
« on: 14:55, Sun 08 March 2009 »
Well I thought id be brave and jetwash the engine bay after work and all was good till I got home that was.
Only popped inside for 10 minutes to grab some stuff and when I came back out the car was still steaming which was odd, upcon closer inspection I could see flames and embers under the car, luckily Ive got a fire extingusisher in the house and managed to put the fire out without calling the fire brigade.



The cause? Previous shonky alternator/fan switch wiring.



Spend all yesterday rewiring it but cant get the fan to cut in so thats another thing for the list.

Nothing like owning an R5  :P

owe

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 494
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 15:10, Sun 08 March 2009 »
gutted man, but just be glad u had that fire extinguisher, i keep one in glove box
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

sonic-jdm

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 179
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 09:22, Mon 09 March 2009 »
Its always best too disconnect the battery when cleaning engine bay :wink:

good to see it all intak tho :P

GTTboost

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 627
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 13:57, Tue 10 March 2009 »
Quote from: "sonic-jdm"
Its always best too disconnect the battery when cleaning engine bay :wink:

good to see it all intak tho :P


 ^ good tip  :wink:

 Pleased to see you saved it mate!

markeyturbo

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 173
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 18:41, Tue 10 March 2009 »
i know the feeling fella, i had an oil pipe burst on a track day.. luckily i carried a fire extinguisher







was nice to see my mate helping.. and not taking pics of me panicking lol

GTTboost

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 627
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 19:22, Tue 10 March 2009 »
Mark...it may be wounded but it still looks the nuts in the side piccy... ;)  good to hear u saved it!!

BriC

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 444
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 23:08, Tue 10 March 2009 »
Fook me Mark. If that would have been lost to the flames, I think I would have cried nearly as much as you!

markeyturbo

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 173
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 00:05, Wed 11 March 2009 »
lmao! i had it out within seconds literally... shit me up tho!

BriC

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 444
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 13:35, Thu 12 March 2009 »
Yeh. Think I'll invest in an extinguisher for mine..

bazr5gtt

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 1003
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 16:16, Sun 15 March 2009 »
glad to hear both cars have survived :shock:  i think i will be purchasing one aswell just in case!!!

r5gttraider

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 530
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 22:09, Mon 30 March 2009 »
is it easy to sort the fan switch out? or is it a case of wiring the fan sensor up to the fan??

the last owner had a lucky escape!!!



all started by the intercooler cutting though the wires to the relays on the near side!!


Midnight_Turbo

  • 150BHP Member
  • **
  • Posts: 49
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 22:44, Mon 30 March 2009 »
Wow thats a proper rats nest of wiring, The wiring I did was pretty easy as I just copied the original wiring from a diagram on here and made sure the fan still went through a relay.

r5gttraider

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 530
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 22:53, Mon 30 March 2009 »
im not repairing god!!

the main headlight live burnt and melted 4/5 other wires, im very very suprized it didnt go up in flames, one very lucky man

at the moment i have to spark but i pursume thats down the the dash loom?

as i see theres wires to thr coil pack thing from the dash loom

r5gttraider

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 530
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 22:59, Mon 30 March 2009 »
other pics to the extent of wire damage
the plug down in the drivers foot well. how did a fire not start here!!

this is were the damage stops the main plug behind the radio!

GTTboost

  • 200BHP Senior Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 627
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 00:16, Tue 31 March 2009 »
bloody hell...  run for your life!  lol