Author Topic: problem :{  (Read 7049 times)

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
problem :{
« on: 19:04, Thu 05 March 2009 »
Alright guys, having problems since today any suggestions of what it could be?

ok, so when i try to accelerate the engine revs really drop and it feels like the car is holding back for a second before gently accelerating, thats just pulling away, then when rolling any sort of gentle or heavy acceleration it starts to hold you back and then pull.

On idle its fine and i have whipped the idle jet out to check, but if i attempt to rev it stationary it dips before reving,  :cry:

It makes no difference if its hot or cold, but i drove home from work and it wasn't doing it, i was driving gently :shock:  then i went to get some petrol just now and it started again :roll:

I checked all vacumn hoses and they seem fine, looked around the accelerator cable and wasnt catching on anything. Checked all boost hoses and nothing popped off.

I changed the fuel filter maybe 2 months ago so wouldn't think it was that?
going to check all plugs tommorow, but as i said it was idleing fine. Maybe overfueling ? fpr? fooked turbo? renix?

Any1 had this problem?

Help appreciated :)
I got 5 on it..

bernard

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 21:01, Thu 05 March 2009 »
Perhaps your fuel pump is on its way out?

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 21:27, Thu 05 March 2009 »
i did think that might be a possibility, would a faulty pump cause these probs?  :?
I got 5 on it..

itzik

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 21:36, Thu 05 March 2009 »
try rebuilding the carb with new gaskets.

mat_pithers

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 21:51, Thu 05 March 2009 »
to me it sounds like it bogging done witch could mean to much fule
baysidecustoms body shop tell: 01227372868

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 08:53, Fri 06 March 2009 »
Yes it could be the pump, can also point to the carb, has it been overhauled recently ?
But it could also point to the coil on the AEI breaking down.
Most likely cause is the pump if it's old..

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 12:24, Fri 06 March 2009 »
haven't overhauled the carb and the pumps the original i believe, not sure where to start, carb i guess:(
I got 5 on it..

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 12:28, Fri 06 March 2009 »
Steve if it was the ignition coil, would it still idle ok?
I got 5 on it..

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 12:52, Fri 06 March 2009 »
Yes, unless it was completely shot, when it starts to break down it causes a weak spark, usually under load, more i think about it the more i feel it's fuel related though.. as for where to start, well a carb overhaul kit is around 20 on ebay, it wouldn't hurt to freshen that up anyway, new pump is around 80+ IIRC & you want the 'uprated' (ph1) pump...

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 13:08, Fri 06 March 2009 »
im thinking, if thats the case as its a phase 1 and the unit sits above the turbo it could well be the coil, as i no on phase 1's this can be a problem being so close and hot. iirc = ? sorry ha. yeah i did just check out that price for the pump on cgb:( and the coil fom theres not 2 expensive. its just weird how its on and off.
I got 5 on it..

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 16:04, Fri 06 March 2009 »
Quote from: "mat_pithers"
to me it sounds like it bogging done witch could mean to much fule

Or it could be the opposite. Double check for air leaks, mine would hesitate to pull off and lean out when i had a leaking vacumn pipe.

Are you using a dump valve, might be worth temporary disconnecting that and blocking the pipe up and see if that helps?

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 16:08, Fri 06 March 2009 »
not running dv but will replace my vacumn hose that runs to the base of the carb as a try, but thought that would also affect idle.. dunno ill give it a go
I got 5 on it..

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 09:17, Sat 07 March 2009 »
Well was driving back from work this morning and problems again. It started getting really lumpy and holding back before the accelerator had now effect at all :cry: tried accelerating and nothing happened at all when i pressed the peddle, lost all power and car died in the middle of the road. After trying to start it several times still nothing, then 2 mins of sitting with hazzards on it worked again? Im starting to think now its the fuel pump on the way, any1 had these symptoms? Is this what happens when fuel pump dies?  :(
I got 5 on it..

5teve L

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 09:56, Sat 07 March 2009 »
I also wonder if the fuel pump relay may be causing this... Pm James (the other mod) to ask how to bridge the relay as i can't rememnber which pins it is, then try driving it around to see if the problem persists.. Could just be down to the relay.

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 09:57, Sat 07 March 2009 »
any1 when you turn the ignition before starting your 5 do you hear the fuel pump turn on and prime cos mine doesn't and i cant remember if it used to:(
I got 5 on it..