Author Topic: Running a GT with Turbo disconnected?  (Read 2768 times)

RS_GTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
Running a GT with Turbo disconnected?
« on: 22:20, Sun 01 March 2009 »
Hi guys,

Can someone please tell me if there's anything wrong with this, I figured the campus engine 1.4 conversion will be pointless if I can drop to the power of a campus and explain to the insurance company that I have the turbo disconnected.  Can anyone help? Will be inquiring tomorrow with insurance company but wanted to know if theres much difference between the Campus and GT Turbo (with no turbo)  thanks and sorry for noob question

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 22:30, Sun 01 March 2009 »
A non turbo GTT engine will be slower, because it has a lower compression.

RS_GTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 22:36, Sun 01 March 2009 »
thanks BriC, Is there any way of improving it so it's bearable? Or would you recommend the Campus conversion. thanks alot

scratcher

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 22:51, Sun 01 March 2009 »
I'd reccommend this. Not too far from you either
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1994-RENAULT-5-GT ... 240%3A1318

RS_GTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 23:03, Sun 01 March 2009 »
cheers scratcher but trust me I have searched every single day for ages now, I've got daily checks at about every like 4 hours! lol Am interested in one in particular which is on here but wonder if the non-turbo is feasable.
Dont fancy that replica to be honest, want the tungsten grey :)

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 23:30, Sun 01 March 2009 »
didnt they do a gtx in tungy?
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 12:31, Mon 02 March 2009 »
Quote from: "RS_GTT"
thanks BriC, Is there any way of improving it so it's bearable? Or would you recommend the Campus conversion. thanks alot

I wouldn't know whether it's bearable to be honest, and it would be pointless messing about with the engine to raise the compression, because it would just be easier to fit a campus engine. It would involve head skimming, or fitting campus pistons (Or a campus head - can't remember where the GTT gets it's lower compression from, but I know the pistons and head are both different)

RS_GTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 16:20, Mon 02 March 2009 »
ok thanks alot BriC, I think ive exhausted every option and the campus engine in a GTT is the only one for me, much appreciated

LEE

• Administrator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.com
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 18:05, Mon 02 March 2009 »
Even if you buy a GTT and stick a campus engine in it, it will still be expensive to insure as it is still a GTT thats been modified even though it will have less power thats how insurers see it.

Ive driven a GTT with a seized Turbo and its slower than slow, totally gutless as said before lower compression than a normal non turbo even 1100cc car. Had to drive from Hadleigh, Essex to Stratford, East London as my Turbo seized on the A13 and the only place to get a turbo on a Saturday afternoon for a 5 Turbo was in Stratford.
Site Administrator

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 18:27, Mon 02 March 2009 »
Quote from: "LEE"
Even if you buy a GTT and stick a campus engine in it, it will still be expensive to insure as it is still a GTT thats been modified even though it will have less power thats how insurers see it.

Ive driven a GTT with a seized Turbo and its slower than slow, totally gutless as said before lower compression than a normal non turbo even 1100cc car. Had to drive from Hadleigh, Essex to Stratford, East London as my Turbo seized on the A13 and the only place to get a turbo on a Saturday afternoon for a 5 Turbo was in Stratford.

I do remember him saying he phoned a company who basically said, if he had a GTT with a campus engine, it would cost him the same to insure as a campus. If that is true, I would totally recommend that route.

markeyturbo

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 18:30, Mon 02 March 2009 »
just get a campus, or just save and wait for the proper GTT experience. if ya can't insure a GTT get a replica if the look is that important

RS_GTT

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 21:58, Mon 02 March 2009 »
thanks guys,
just to clarify...
its my first car and I want nothing but a R5GTT (call me stubborn) and have looked into every way possible to own one, cut a long storey short...

Thought GTT and campus engine = Quoted 1100 + 200 excess (under 7000miles a year and cat1 alarm)

On a campus modded up (bodykit, alloys, lowered) would actually cost me more! got quoted (being my first I may add) at 1200 + 350 excess.

they may vary slightly with certain year and value of the car I end up having but if I can insure a GTT for around 1100 Fully comp, that'll be my choice.

Of course I could just go for a cheap runabout until i get a years no claims and am 25 lol patience is hard right now, but i could replace the GTT lump in a years time and would have had a full year learning already.

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 23:17, Mon 02 March 2009 »
I agree mate. As I've always said, if those quotes are right (which I'm sure they are), I'd definitely go for it :)