Author Topic: mk1 clio gt turbo  (Read 9060 times)

hookerno1

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
mk1 clio gt turbo
« on: 22:47, Wed 04 February 2009 »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice/tips on my project.

I have a mk1 clio that i have had for ages now and i've got it to the point were i really like the look of it but it just doesn't shift enough. I've decided to put a R5 GTT lump in it!!

So i bought an engine and box with a load of bits and bobs including shafts and hubs.(not sure if need these) The engine is a bit of an old bone, but hopefully should do the trick once ive cleanded it up and got some new gaskets etc.

Is there anything i should know that mite cause complications or anything at all really?
Just to get in touch with someone whose done it or knows someone whose done it would be a huge help.

cavsri130

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 06:51, Thu 05 February 2009 »
welcome aboard bud, alan here, you got a few bits off me on ebay. there s a few clio projects on here so you shouldnt get stuck
IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT!

JK

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 10:30, Thu 05 February 2009 »
welcome and good luck with the clio, look forward to seeing your progress :wink:
I got 5 on it..

smithsgtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 10:38, Thu 05 February 2009 »
hi and welcome to the forum

hookerno1

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
few pics
« Reply #4 on: 15:24, Thu 05 February 2009 »

drop of renault racing blue

16v wings n new wheels

lump i bought (needs a bit of a going over)

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 15:58, Thu 05 February 2009 »
Thats a nice colour.

I had my old R5 painted in that colour.

http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1004

hookerno1

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 16:42, Thu 05 February 2009 »
Quote from: "Ash-Lee"
Thats a nice colour.

I had my old R5 painted in that colour.

http://www.renault5gtturbo.com/forum/vi ... php?t=1004

looks good on 5 like it

cavsri130

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 20:52, Thu 05 February 2009 »
it does look good, thats another 5dr turbo clio on the go. keep up the good work
IF IN DOUBT FLAT OUT!

hookerno1

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 03:54, Fri 06 February 2009 »
its a good colour for any renault cause its in ya face and its an original renault colour and ya dont seem to see it often

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 19:56, Fri 06 February 2009 »
hi there hookerno1. Im currently doing the conversion at the moment.

A quick rundown of the conversion -

First off ...you have to use the clio subframe (u have to drill a hole for the gearbox mount)

Driveshafts - your best to use clio 16v shafts as the 5gtt ones are too short. Also use 16v hubs and 16v front brake setup. IMO rear drums will be ok.

Intercooler ..im using a front mount intercooler.

Also if your using a t25 turbo you will need to relocate the battery (i moved mine to the scuttle panel and made my windscreen wipers a single conversion).

Wiring wise the 5gtt loom plug doesnt go into the clio dash loom. At the moment me and my mate are doing the wiring from scratch ..lots of cutting wires envolved. As for fuel pump wiring ive yet to get to that.

Accelerator cable you will need to cut to size and join it somehow (ive yet to do this lol)

Gearbox wise you can use the clio gearbox but i used the 5gtt box ..only thing with the gtt box is that it doesnt have the same speedo cable so im using a satnav :lol:

Only thing that confused me was what pipe goes where lol ...but the lads on here have helped loads :D

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 19:56, Fri 06 February 2009 »
hi mate and welcome to the forum :D lovin the colour bud keep us posted with the progress on yer engine 8)

hookerno1

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: 17:08, Sat 07 February 2009 »
Quote from: "Bass J"
hi there hookerno1. Im currently doing the conversion at the moment.

A quick rundown of the conversion -

First off ...you have to use the clio subframe (you have to drill a hole for the gearbox mount)

Driveshafts - your best to use clio 16v shafts as the 5gtt ones are too short. Also use 16v hubs and 16v front brake setup. IMO rear drums will be ok.

Intercooler ..im using a front mount intercooler.

Also if your using a t25 turbo you will need to relocate the battery (i moved mine to the scuttle panel and made my windscreen wipers a single conversion).

Wiring wise the 5gtt loom plug doesnt go into the clio dash loom. At the moment me and my mate are doing the wiring from scratch ..lots of cutting wires envolved. As for fuel pump wiring ive yet to get to that.

Accelerator cable you will need to cut to size and join it somehow (ive yet to do this lol)

Gearbox wise you can use the clio gearbox but i used the 5gtt box ..only thing with the gtt box is that it doesnt have the same speedo cable so im using a satnav :lol:

Only thing that confused me was what pipe goes where lol ...but the lads on here have helped loads :D

that is a big help mate cheers!
but what do you think of this? its a message from another clio gtt owner
on what he did!

i used the clio loom for mine, as all you need is starter motor wiring and relays and charging system, for fueling i used a sytec adjustable fuel pressure regulator which i reduced the psi from the injection fuel pump to the required psi for the gtt carb

and i know what you mean about "what goes where"
so many hoses/pipes on these engines! lol

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 18:55, Sat 07 February 2009 »
haha aye ive used an original fuel pressure regulator from a 5gtt ..which should be fine. The loom is supposed to be getting done this weekend ..i will report back tho lol.

The hoses seem a maze at the start ..but once you get into it with pictures it gets easier :)

hookerno1

• 115BHP Newbie
    • View Profile
gtt
« Reply #13 on: 19:32, Sat 07 February 2009 »
so you used the clio pump with 5 regulator?
could i use my 1200 shafts and just beef up my brakes?

Bass J

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 17:56, Sun 08 February 2009 »
yes im using my clio pump with the 5gtt regulator, You can use 1.2 shafts and hubs but be prepared as they might not be able to take the stress of the torque from the GTT engine.