Author Topic: Raiders - whats the appeal?  (Read 3303 times)

axnutty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
Raiders - whats the appeal?
« on: 17:50, Fri 16 January 2009 »
Whats the big facination with the Raider then? I mean, OK its a limited edition, buts its not any better than any other GTT is it? Nor does it look as good as a white GTT in good condition IMO. But then thats a matter of personal taste.

So why do people seem to clamour over them?  They surely just arent worth it?

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: 18:06, Fri 16 January 2009 »
1991 - Raider model was launched. This was a special edition in honour of DIDIER AURIOLS wins and was finished in Motorsport blue colour coded wheels with blue flecked seats black carpet else note there is no decals and there is no truth in the ruhmers that the RAIDER was faster it was exactly the same engine .they where made in a limted edition numbers expected to be in there hundreds.

Raiders are sort after because of there limited numbers, if you had the chance to own some thing of  a limited edtion then you more than likely would , 5's are rare in standerd form let alone the raiders , hense there popularity amongst fair few of us 5 lovers

axnutty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: 21:56, Fri 16 January 2009 »
Yes buts its no better than a normal R5GTT.  So yes if you like blue, then its good.  I mean I own a Raider. I didnt want one, it just happened that way.  People seem to go mad for them and I guess the answer is its just me, but when ive owned 2 106 XSi's and a 106 rallye, the Rallye is considered king because they only made 1000.  The truth is the 1.6 XSi they only made 600. Its a better car and costs half the money. Its the rarer better option but cheaper. Ive had an AX GT500, its not worth anymore than a normal AX GT and quite right to. OK its got half leather, chrome grill, stickers, black dash and carpet. But thats it.  Why pay more?

SO I just find it hard to see why people go on about the Raider. Woo! Its limited edition! So frickin what!? Its not any better than a standard GTT! Or am i sorly mistaken?  In this day and age when the GTT is so old in the tooth is it not better that you have a tidy solid example irrespective of what spec it is than opt for some shoddy attempt to shift the last few GTT's off the production line?

Ive got my white GTT up for sale, in the advert there is a pic of my Raider. Ive had 4 people phone about the white car - 2 of which wanting the Raider. Despite the fact its not for sale!

axnutty

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: 22:00, Fri 16 January 2009 »
AND You know what else grinds me gears!!!!

Whilst I'm banging on about crap! What is it with the R5 scene that necessitates every dam bit of engine to be chrome plated!?!

Grrr!!!

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: 22:47, Fri 16 January 2009 »
lol , chrome not your fancy mate ? lol just the way it works these days , magority of companys only seem to produce ally / chrome products these days

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: 22:47, Fri 16 January 2009 »
LOL.. I know what you mean about the Raiders. It's all down to preference. Personally, I don't really like the blue they come in. I'd rather have a GTT in any of the other colours (other than Red) over a Raider.

Regarding the Chrome, not everyone is into that. Are you a member of RTOC? A lot of people on there, who aren't as obsessed with the 'bling bling' appeal associated with the GTT. It's a club with rather a lot of technical knowledge actually :)

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: 22:51, Fri 16 January 2009 »
its the same on here , chrome is a personal like or disslike , rtoc is jus the same as here !

BriC

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: 22:52, Fri 16 January 2009 »
Yep. Same everywhere really.. Was just saying how RTOC has quite a few people with a lot of technical know how.

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: 22:54, Fri 16 January 2009 »
well my theory on why they made the ax gt500 is they were all the last of line mrk 1's before the face lift. so in order to get rid of old stock basically they called it a limited edition an added few little trick bits just to get rid so its prob gona be the same with the raider, they do seem to be the last r5 s made befiore they were discontinued an the clio 16v came in according to wikipedia
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: 22:56, Fri 16 January 2009 »
oh yeah for sure ive met loads of people on there at southend seem like fantastic guys, know there stuff , as do certain people on here , i dont agree to much with the join charge but can understand why , disscounts , rolling days , and sort of narrows down the purists !

owe

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: 23:00, Fri 16 January 2009 »
well my theory on why they made the ax gt500 is they were all the last of line mrk 1's before the face lift. so in order to get rid of old stock basically they called it a limited edition an added few little trick bits just to get rid so its prob gona be the same with the raider, they do seem to be the last r5 s made befiore they were discontinued an the clio 16v came in according to wikipedia
everybody needs to watch this film >>>>>endgame by alex jones

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
Re: Raiders - whats the appeal?
« Reply #11 on: 23:44, Fri 16 January 2009 »
Quote from: "axnutty"
Whats the big facination with the Raider then? I mean, OK its a limited edition, buts its not any better than any other GTT is it? Nor does it look as good as a white GTT in good condition IMO. But then thats a matter of personal taste.

So why do people seem to clamour over them?  They surely just arent worth it?

Last shoddy attempt to shift R5's off the production line?

Those would be the 'J' plates then, and AFAIK they were all white. So  :P .

I don't see the appeal of the Raider either, i don't particually like the colour. But...it was limited edition and that appeals to some people. Obviously not you, or me.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: 00:10, Sat 17 January 2009 »
the raider was made in celebration of DIDIER AURIOLS group B rally wins !!! j plated renaults are just as rare , they were infact the last of the last turbos , i believe the campus lived on until N reg ?

bod

• 150BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: 11:15, Sat 17 January 2009 »
The last five turbo's were on a k plate of which there was five.Ive only ever seen one on a k-reg and that was years ago in a old revs mag in the for sale section and that was in white.

As for raiders there was 1000 made mainly on g and h plates but again at a national day in 2004 or 2005(cant remeber what year) there was a  raider on a j-plate.The only j-plate raider ive ever seen or heard of.

J-plates five turbos came in either grey or white from what i can tell and have seen.Apart from that raider.

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: 12:22, Sat 17 January 2009 »
k plated 5 turbos :?  am not to sure there was , shell must have been converted , k plate was the first reg of the clio

please dont think i am being ... erm please dont think i am questioning you, just look how easy it is to spray and bodykit a renault 5 turbo onto a campus shell  :(