Author Topic: Fifth Gear TV programme need a GT Turbo  (Read 16682 times)

kz

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #60 on: 23:55, Thu 15 January 2009 »
Thing is, is the Twingo that much better around the twisties? I mean standard 0-60 times...

R5 GTT - 7.1secs
Twingo RS - 8.4secs

That's quite a difference! Was the R5 even standard?

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #61 on: 04:40, Fri 16 January 2009 »
Quote from: "tree"
I love the R5GTT bias on here! Do you really think the 5 would beat the Twingo  in the dry? Do you think the Twingo will go slower in the dry? Of course not. The gap is just too great....

Come on guys, we all love the 5, but it's showing its age against a modern version.

I understand your comments. Obviously everything has advanced a lot with regards to suspension, tyres and electronic 'spaz aids'.

But seriously, the Twingo has 15BHP more then the R5 but just over 100kg in extra weight. Not forgetting that the raider was running 15psi so it was probably putting out more power then the Twingo anyway.

I would like to see a dry run just out of curiosity but i've always been a bit wary of the 5's handling myself. I've always said i could get from A to B quicker in my 205 GTI then i could in the 5.

Straight line acceleration, now thats something different altogether.  :wink:

gjb0535

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #62 on: 09:10, Fri 16 January 2009 »
I agree. On a dry track with lots of high speed straights I think the R5 would win. Whilst the 0-60 is an issue what about the 0-100. I have an old Motor magazine from 1985 and whilst its a phase 1 the R5 does 0-100 in 22 secs and 30-70 in under 8 Similiar times to my old Alfa 156 2.0

Some of the latest small hothatches can do the 100 in well under 22sec and 30-70 in well under 8 albeit the 0-60 time is not far off the r5.

My R5 on a track in the dry can give the pug 205 a good crack at it but I have to be weary in the corners. Hopefully this will change when I fit my coilover kit.

I have owned both 1.6 and 1.9gti pugs and compared to my R5 as std cars the pugs instill more confidence in me when cornering unless I lift off which is a different issue.

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
(No subject)
« Reply #63 on: 10:01, Fri 16 January 2009 »
Quote from: "r5matt"
just seen steves raider on the head banner looks soo nice , question do you enter it in concours ?

Yes mate, that's what i'm striving to do with it but theres still plenty to do!!

It won best 1980's car at the Renault World Series in 2007 which i was really chuffed with!!

Got a few things planned for this year also.  :wink:

▼▼▼▼Click on this link down here for some pics during various stages ▼▼▼▼

r5matt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.renault5gtturbo.co.uk
(No subject)
« Reply #64 on: 14:30, Fri 16 January 2009 »
all the best , Concours cars simply rule !

GTTboost

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #65 on: 19:49, Tue 20 January 2009 »
1st time I've seen this thread... I saw the 5th Gear shootout and ur Raider looked stunning!   8)  has to be one of the best 5's around the globe.

Shame it had to be pissing down with rain all day!  they mentioned ur tyres were a bit shot...(the rear pic of ur car shows the tyres look a bit low on tread lol) so the rain wouldnt have helped much.  My 5 on standard wheels/tyres would slip everywhere and be in the trees on the 1st corner... so u done mightily well dude on that flooded track!

Hats off!!  Stunning car 8)

bazr5gtt

• 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #66 on: 09:11, Wed 21 January 2009 »
managed to see the footage the 5 would well have anialated that twingo in the dry,your car was lookin and sounding amazing,especally every camera shot when it was flying past and all you can hear is that exhaust note truly awsome well done steve  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

Big Steve Raider

• 170BHP Member
    • View Profile
    • http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn259/BigSteveT/Raider/
(No subject)
« Reply #67 on: 15:14, Wed 21 January 2009 »
Quote from: "GTTboost"
They mentioned your tyres were a bit shot...(the rear pic of your car shows the tyres look a bit low on tread lol) so the rain wouldnt have helped much.  My 5 on standard wheels/tyres would slip everywhere and be in the trees on the 1st corner... so you done mightily well dude on that flooded track!

Thanks for yours & everyones comments on the car, makes me proud of my little fighter!!  :D

With regard to the Tyres i fitted a brand spankin new set of 2008 dated Uniroyal 195 55 13 tyres four days before the shoot so the tyres were not knackered/ worn or anything else, Theyre just CRAP tyres  :roll:

Unfortunately they're the only original ones avaliable in that size now.  :cry:

Makes me wonder if it would be worth approaching a tyre manufactrer & asking what's involved in them making a better tyre in our size?! They'd have a market - albeit a small one???

Ash-Lee

• Global Moderator
  • 200BHP Senior Member
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #68 on: 16:24, Wed 21 January 2009 »
Quote from: "Big Steve Raider"
Quote from: "GTTboost"
They mentioned your tyres were a bit shot...(the rear pic of your car shows the tyres look a bit low on tread lol) so the rain wouldnt have helped much.  My 5 on standard wheels/tyres would slip everywhere and be in the trees on the 1st corner... so you done mightily well dude on that flooded track!

Thanks for yours & everyones comments on the car, makes me proud of my little fighter!!  :D

With regard to the Tyres i fitted a brand spankin new set of 2008 dated Uniroyal 195 55 13 tyres four days before the shoot so the tyres were not knackered/ worn or anything else, Theyre just CRAP tyres  :roll:

Unfortunately they're the only original ones avaliable in that size now.  :cry:

Makes me wonder if it would be worth approaching a tyre manufactrer & asking what's involved in them making a better tyre in our size?! They'd have a market - albeit a small one???

I wouldnt say they were crap tyres, in the dry they are quite sticky from what i remember but admittingly they are really shocking in the wet.

Unfortuatley they are the only tyres available in that size, the old Michelin tyres wern't so bad. I have seen re-moulds in that size but there not even worth looking into i suppose.

I use 185/60's at the moment which offer more of a choice but in my opinion they look like balloons.

At the moment i am seriously considering some 15" alloys just to get some decent rubber wrapped around them.